***Chapter Eight***

Severus looked his fill as Hermione clung to the edge of their bathtub while he drove into her from behind. There were things about this time he just thought he might miss. Baths with her was tops on that list.

"Severus," she keened as he grazed the crevice between her bum with his pinky finger. A thing they'd discovered she really liked, particularly in this position.

He chuckled, finding her ear. "Come undone for me, Hermione." He helped her to that end before finishing himself.

Soon they would dress for dinner at the Butlers' where no doubt they would formally announce there would be a new Butler. From the grapevine, it seemed she was due mid-March. 

"I want that," he murmured, kissing her back and running a finger along the length of her spine.

"I know, Severus. I do, too." The humbling thing was that she meant it. She wanted it. To create a child. With him. He vowed never to make her regret not returning to the present and annulling their marriage the moment he put that ring on her finger.

"I never thought I'd be at a place in time where I wanted to do my best to get a witch pregnant."

"A few more months and we can start trying."

"I look forward to it," he murmured.

They made their way down Peachtree Street to the hideous home in question, though Severus noticed on their most recent few visits some changes had occurred. Perhaps Scarlett Butler née O'Hara finally realized there were more important things in life than expensive things. And maybe just maybe she learned that wasn't a trait that should be passed onto her children.

Little things like a monstrosity of a painting had been replaced with a rather lovely and flattering painting of their family.

There was new wallpaper in a couple rooms, too, that was more subtle than what had been there before.

And her clothes. He'd noticed the last time they saw them over Christmas. She was still fashionable, something told Severus she always would be. She seemed less as if she was trying to impress her guests and more about being comfortable and dressed appropriately.

She was only twenty-five or so and had gone through some harrowing experiences. She seemed to know those were over now and that she had a husband who could and would support her.

The dinner was intimate, consisting of the Wilkes' and a few of the old guard like the Elsings and Fontaines who evidently things had been strained with Scarlett for years. It was clear those guests weren't quite sure what to make of this Scarlett. Even if they thought it was about time.

Before they left for the night, Severus drew Ashley Wilkes aside.

"Please forgive my forwardness, but my wife tells me your wife's tiredness hasn't let up. I've developed a tonic that I think might help her. If she agrees to allow me to interview her once a week or so to determine if it is making a difference I will not charge her for the tonic."

"There is nothing to forgive, Severus. She has not recovered from the war as I'd expect her to. I will mention it to her and let you know."

"Perfect. I want one of my favorite people to be healthy."

"Thank you, Severus," the man said, offering him his hand. Severus took it.

"Don't thank me yet, but we can hope."



And so it was that Severus started her on a potion regiment that should aid in healing damage done from her first experience delivering her son. It wouldn't undo it completely, too much time had passed for that to happen.

He met with her weekly to discuss how she felt. She was still a quiet, humble lady. However as one week turned into two, turned into four and then five it was like someone flipped a switch and she had stamina and colour in her cheeks again. (Based on pictures he'd seen.)

"You are so brilliant," his wife told him in bed one night in July.

"I only hope that I am not bringing about the end we know anyway at a later date. That by her feeling better, she's willing to risk trying for another baby."

"You are trying to help her. And her family."

"I know."



August sixteenth came and went with no crisis or accidents. It seemed that with Bonnie's parents getting along neither were trying to outdo the other with gifts. The girl still had a pony, but she seemed to understand that due to the tragic way her grandfather died jumping (Rhett had confessed it was one of the things he felt guilt about) she was not to do so unless her parents were watching and the bar had been double-checked.

To say they were relieved this change was effected maybe more than stopping the miscarriage of Rhett Junior was an understatement. Not that they weren't glad that Rhett Junior was here as well. They were, but he hadn't existed yet when they got here.

And it had little to do anymore with the magical line being there in the future. Of course that was their ultimate goal, and both knew that, but it had long ago been about these people who they spent time with, too.



The last hurdle came when September gave way to October without having claimed Melanie Wilkes.

They took the month of October to put their affairs in order. And try for a child of their own every moment they had to do so. Severus left enough of his tonics for Melanie Wilkes explaining to Ashley how they should be stored.

Last but not least, Severus met Rhett at a small saloon outside of town. Rhett looked at him differently the last month or so. That coupled with the letter they'd gotten from the older Mrs. Butler made him assume his mother told him. And, most importantly, he believed her. 

"My wife and I are prepared to leave."

"Scarlett mentioned that your wife said you were returning to London."

"We aren't sure if it will be London yet."

He cleared his throat, not sure how to bring this up. He cast a wordless Muffliato so no one could eavesdrop.

"Your mother has spoken to you, correct?"

"About the Berg family gift?"

He sighed in relief. "Yes."

"She has. She mentioned something about you and your wife that makes me think that my suggesting I hope that we meet again one day has a very different connotation to us than it would to others."

Severus smirked. "You are right. I'll admit, it's doubtful we will. Your mother is a wise woman, though. I see why Scarlett appealed to you. You had an intelligent mum so you didn't find it strange when you met Scarlett."

"You may be right."

"I'm not supposed to do this. There are … things those in our jobs are cautioned against doing." He sighed heavily. Two and a half years he'd had to get to know these people. This man. His family. He had two living children because they'd taken this assignment with a third one on the way.

"Your wife has this position as well?" Rhett asked.

Severus nodded, smiling slightly at the look of … hope in Rhett's eyes rather than of disdain or censure that his wife worked.

"She does."

"So, Ella and Bonnie may not be expected…"

"Likely it will be their children where a change in such expectations are loosened. And even then, it doesn't happen easily or quickly."

"One of the things I admired about Scarlett from the beginning. She had a mind and wasn't afraid to use it. If she'd used it to be less focused on Ashley Wilkes for years I think I'd say she was the perfect specimen of a woman."

"Speaking as someone who held onto an infatuation for many years myself. Sometimes it is not so easy to let go, especially when the other person represents everything you fought for. Not to mention someone one grew up with."

"To this day, I wish I knew what happened, what changed her mind. She'd essentially banned me from her bed and then one day…" His eyes regarded Severus for a moment. Black eyes assessed black. Neither was a weak man so neither gave way to the other. It dawned on him just now it seemed that they were that happened. "Well, regardless of why it happened. I am pleased to be able to spend the rest of my days ensuring Scarlett never goes hungry again."

Perfect opportunity. "You're a smart, resourceful, and cunning man. I have no doubt you would have been sorted into Slytherin if you attended Hogwarts. I think you enjoy investing your money. I know you enjoy taking risks. And trying to best everyone you can."

"Yes."

"Your children will likely be influenced and live their lives by that example. Please ensure in less than fifty-five years they are prepared for some very lean years. That they have tapered off or cashed in their investments. Ensure they know how to work the land and be as self-sufficient as possible. Whether it's Tara or Bellyhara, the knowledge will be life saving."

The other man was quiet for a moment. Clearly thinking over what Severus said and what it might actually mean. "Your advice is appreciated."

"Thank you. Is Miss Watling still not speaking to you then?" Severus asked. It was Rhett's idea to meet here. They were not at Miss Watling saloon.

"She does when it's required but I made a promise to my wife. As long as she keeps to her end of the bargain I will as well. I am a loyal man by nature, but I refused to be made a fool of or a cuckold."

"Is she worth it?"

"Without a doubt. It just took her a stubbornly long time to get on the same page."

The two finished their drinks. Rhett shook his hand when they prepared to leave.

"Thank you, Severus."

"Thank you. I know you are selective with who you allow to get to know you. I am glad I am among them."

Finally, it was time to return to Washington, DC so that they could return home.

"Well, Witch?" Severus asked.

"Our son or daughter was conceived in 1873 Atlanta, Georgia."

He hugged her tightly. He didn't truly care, but it would be quite the story to tell, and he had to admit they'd built a nice life in the two and a half years they'd called Atlanta home, creature comforts missing aside. It seemed a fitting way to close out this portion of their lives.

"Let us go then."

Return to Top

Part 7 | Part 9

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com