***Chapter Eleven***
January 1999

With Elara's help, Hermione thought Severus' dining room looked nice. She hoped he'd think so, too. Elara said she couldn't recall Severus even using his dining room table before now. The witch wasn't sure if that meant he didn't like it or just hadn't had the reason. She couldn't imagine between spying, teaching, and brewing that he had much time for socializing. And who exactly would he invite?

She was dressed casually in a pair of black muggle trousers and a very soft deep blue cashmere sweater. She thought about putting a skirt on, but went with the slacks instead in part because it was chilly in the dungeons (thus the sweater).

She bit her lower lip as she sat at what had quickly become her spot on the couch over the past couple of months, going over her class plans for the next month and what she could segue easily into from here for February and March. She'd like to be planned through Easter holidays. Would he get mad? Would he think this was stupid? She hoped not.

She sighed when she heard him at his door, forcing herself to focus on her lesson plans instead of him. She was trying to offset a New Year's Eve that had them not spending it at Grimmauld Place at all. Not that she was complaining about that necessarily. She'd gotten a much better kiss out of Severus at midnight than she would have surrounded by a group of people he didn't really want to be around.

The conversation with Ron on New Year's Eve had not gone … well, to say the least. She and  Harry met Ron and Ginny at the Three Broomsticks for lunch not wanting to do it in a house full of New Year's Eve partygoers. Ron had been included in the conversation despite the fact that he still hadn't apologized or even said anything about his behaviour at the Halloween ball. Harry had wanted him along, thinking that he should hear the news at the same time Ginny did. It was hard to argue against it, and really it was preferable only having to explain things once. It would also ensure that nothing got relayed to him differently. Not that Ginny would deliberately do that. Still, things had a habit of getting changed the more people told them. So he'd been invited and showed up. He probably showed up thinking Hermione was going to beg for his forgiveness or something. 

"Oh," Ginny said when she saw Ron walk in. "Something's going on, yeah? For him to be here, too."

She was, of course, fully aware, the two of them hadn't spoken in two months. Ron not seeming to understand what the issue was (from what Harry told her). Hermione feeling as if she should not be the one to initiate.

"What's she doing here?" he asked. He took a seat, though.

"She, who happens to be your best friend. Well, she was until you behaved like an arse. She has something to tell both of you," Harry said.

"Fine," he said, rolling his eyes.

"So, Severus and I have been experiencing some strange things since the middle of October. We researched everything we could find in Hogwarts, so while on Christmas break we spent a few days with Harry before today if you recall."

Ginny nodded, Ron scowled. Hermione huffed.

"Harry came up to talk to us last night, certain there was something with Voldemort we'd missed or that something had gone wrong with the destruction of the horcruxes. We told him what we were researching, and it turned out he had the answer all along that we were looking for."

"To what?" Ginny said. "Is there something wrong with Harry? With you?"

"No, nothing like that. Apparently in October, Ron and Harry were collecting some belongings for a captured Death Eater and Ron cut himself on an item while wishing Severus and I were married."

Ginny seemed to know where this was going. She closed her mouth quickly and narrowed her eyes at her brother. Ron, however, didn't seem to understand where this was leading.

"Well, if you'd ever written a letter to me I wouldn't have been mad."

"You're not understanding, Ronald. You cut yourself, bled, on an old and powerful artifact. Severus and I are married. Have been since that night, 10:02pm in fact. So I even know what time you made the wish."

"He's lying! He'd do whatever he could to get you. I told you, Harry, he wants into her knickers!"

"He's not lying. He did not tell me. Minerva told us the next morning because she received the notice from the Ministry."

"So, divorce him I mean, it's Snape."

"And do what, Ronald? It's a blood bond, you bled on an artifact. We decided a divorce may not even do anything other than give Skeeter something to gossip about."

"We?"

"Severus and I made the decision."

"So you're married to the git? You sleep with him?"

"He's not a git, Ronald. He's a hero and you'd do well to remember that. Forget what he did for the wizarding world as a whole. He saved our lives against Remus. He stopped Quirrell from killing Harry. We'd be dead if it wasn't for him. As to our personal lives, that's really none of your concern. You wished the right away to have any say in anything that I do."

He blanched at that.

"You're really married?" Ginny asked.

"We are."

"And Harry's known since last night?"

"Yes."

"We'll be talking about keeping secrets from your girlfriend later," she said, glancing at Harry.

"Don't be mad at him, Gin, we asked him not to say anything. It's only been since yesterday and I'm sure he was processing, too. Once we had more information as to what specifically we were looking for instead of anything to do with blood bonds we had more of a chance to research last night. We've found nothing, but Severus has an American contact he's met through academic conferences that he thinks may be able to get some information for us. We only told Harry because he thought something was going on with Voldemort, or me. If he hadn't come into the library and asked he wouldn't know. Neither would we, though." She glanced at Ron who was staring at her. "And I admit I wanted to be sure Ron knew before anyone else. Because mad or not, his fault or not, that's what best friends do."

"So what's it like then? Being married? And to Snape?" Ginny asked.

"Well, we haven't had much time to worry about what being married is like. We've spent months researching and doing our jobs. He's still a professor and a potioner. I'm still an apprentice. I do feel safe with him," she shrugged. "I'm not sure when the last time I felt truly safe was. Have I ever really felt that I was safe at Hogwarts before? I don't know."

"But you don't love him!" Ron said.

"That doesn't matter, does it? I don't know why you're getting defensive, you did this, Ronald. You wished on an artifact and made what you wished for come true. You think I particularly relish the idea of having five children?"

"Well, not with him."

"Why not with him? He's intelligent and a hero, and as I've gotten to know him is witty and can be kind. It's not the father of the children I have an issue with, it's the number of them. And it was why you and I were never going to work. Deep down you know it, too, or you wouldn't have been willing to give up on us as you said you were that night."

"But we always said…"

"No, you always said."

"You kissed me!"

"Oh my God, Ronald, it was one kiss after surviving a war. I probably would have kissed Filius if he'd been standing where you were. I was relieved we'd survived. All three of us got out of that alive. Never mind we no longer had to live in a tent or be scared for our lives anymore. Now, I wanted you here to tell you, but if you're going to continue acting like a prat then I'm going to go."

"Fine, go on back to your castle and your husband. You obviously want him or you would be working more toward getting unmarried instead of why."

She shook her head, Harry looked conflicted.

"And yet another reason why we wouldn't have worked, Ronald. We were married. A blood bond. I knew, Severus knew, there was really no getting out of it, though Kingsley did look into it for us. There was no point in focusing on that. My mind went to the why of it. It's something about me you've never understood." She stood then. There was nothing more to say really and she was not going to argue with or be insulted by him. She knew that would come next. "Enjoy working for George, by the way," she said. "I'll talk to you later, Harry. Ginny. I don't think we'll be at your party tonight. So Happy New Year."

They'd hadn't heard from him since. Granted it had only been a week, but still. Ginny, of course, had owled Hermione already peppering her with questions on married life that Hermione just couldn't answer the witch. Yet.

"I wasn't expecting to see you until dinner," he said, pausing in his unfastening of his robe's buttons when he saw her.

"We're having dinner here," she said, gesturing to the dining room table. There was no food on it yet, but it was clearly set for dinner (and had never been so that she'd seen to this point).

"Why?"

"Um," she said, panicking. Did she have the date wrong? No. "It's your birthday?"

"Is it?" he asked, legitimately seeming to think on it.

"Yes," she said.

"I honestly hadn't paid any attention."

"Well, I did," she said.

"Thank you, Hermione," he said, detouring from his path toward the bedroom to where she was on the couch. "Minerva knows?"

"She does," she said.

"Very well," he said, grazing her lips with his. "Then I shall have dinner in my quarters with my wife."

"I had some help from Elara as to the menu," she said.

"Understandable. I told you she might come in handy," he said as he drew away and headed toward the bedroom. She stood and followed him after setting her things aside, watching as he shed his robe. It gave her a perverse bit of satisfaction knowing that she was one of a small few who would ever see him this undressed.

"How was your day?" he asked.

"Fine. Yours?"

"No one melted any cauldrons at any rate."

"That's a win."

"It always is."

Eventually they made their way to the dining room table and she called for Elara. Just like that dinner was in front of them, consisting of stew with egg noodles and fresh bread as well as wine. A marble cake with chocolate frosting was their dessert. No one had seemed to know what his preferred cake might be, though Elara had promised her the other elves assured her Severus did enjoy desserts.

Their conversation touched on various articles in the Prophet and Quibbler as well as the muggle world. Severus admitted until recently he'd never paid much attention to muggle politics and events. So it seemed there was always something to discuss as he caught up with both present and previous events. Academics, or at least Hogwarts academics, were not discussed at all. Hermione considered that a win, not that she minded talking about classes with him but those were always safe topics for people who didn't have anything else to discuss.

"Everything was delicious, Hermione, thank you."

"Well, I wish I could claim I did anything but plan it, but you're welcome."

She summoned his gift over from a nearby table, letting it drop to the table in front of him. She knew she was blushing profusely, but she'd been at a loss as to what to get him. A book or something to do with potions seemed incredibly too easy. She'd eyed some other things: cufflinks and a stickpin for his cravats as well as a nice pair of leather gloves. However, she wanted her first birthday gift to him to be something personal without being crazily so. The first gift really after finding out just what had happened. Their Christmas gifts had been safe, not that there was anything wrong with that.

He opened the box and his eyes widened as he took out the silk sleeping pants (black, of course) she'd decided on.

"Hermione," he said, eyes moving from the pants to her. "These are exquisite."

She knew they were. She made sure of it. They'd cost her a pretty penny, too, but the look on his face was worth every pound she'd spent.

"Is this your way of saying my sleeping attire does not meet your stringent requirements?"

"No, I just thought you might like to feel good while you sleep and if they feel good against me while we sleep. Well, all the better."

He smirked, almost a full smile and she knew she'd chosen well.

"No matching top?" he asked, noticing that the second item in the box wasn't a top but another pair of the bottoms.

"No," she said. "I like you sleeping topless, thank you very much."

"I suspect I will feel the same way eventually."

She blushed at that. He no longer shied away from her in the mornings. Whether he'd been embarrassed by his more than normal bodily reactions she wasn't sure as he never said. Now, though, he continued to hold her close against him until it was time for them to get on with their days. She couldn't deny the feel of him hard against her body didn't make her incredibly curious.

She knew his reasons lately for not initiating anything had little to do with comfort or desire but the stupid wish that Ronald made. Neither wanted to take the chance the charm or potion wouldn't work, though they hadn't given voice to that. They hadn't gotten past kissing yet, and she was incredibly glad he was as patient as he was with her. Yes, she wanted to get to that point with him, but she wanted them to be on more sure footing first. Their discussion at Grimmauld Place was fresh in her mind and she imagined it was in his, too. Rushing into something that would result in a child wasn't what either of them wanted.

The day of her trip shopping for his birthday she'd also had an appointment at a muggle doctor. She'd been given the muggle birth control pill as well as a bag (she'd been so embarrassed when she looked inside) of condoms. The condoms were because the pill wouldn't be effective at first. In her mind, though, she was thinking maybe they should use both just to be sure. She doubted magic, especially ancient magic that was likely created before even the first rudimentary prophylactics had been invented, would take into account muggle forms of contraception. She had to hope because she didn't want children right away but she sure didn't want to wait years to have sex.

"Would you tell your husband the name of the store where you bought these?"

"Why?" she asked. Did she choose wrong? Did he not like them? Oh God, how embarrassing! She'd felt so certain she chose well!

"Relax," he said. "You chose well. I was not lying. I was thinking, though," he continued, eyes traveling along her form as he tended to do more often these days, "that the tops might look and feel good on you."

"Oh," she said, knowing she was blushing. Again.

"And if you chose to wear no bottoms to contrast to my no top all the better."

"I, uh, yes, the gift receipt is in the box," she said, flustered she gestured to it.

"Very well."

"You realize, though, if you buy me something that sort of defeats the purpose of my getting you a gift."

"You presume I don't think of it as an extension of my gift."

"You would?"

"I very much would, but I'll have to think on the color. I'm not sure black suits you."

"I'm sure I'd be fine with whatever you choose."

"Shall we adjourn to our room then?"

"It's a little early, isn't it?"

"We can read in bed. I have to ensure they fit, after all."

Her eyes brightened and she knew he saw it.

"I could be convinced to review my lesson plans in bed."

"Elara," Severus called out.

"Yes, Miss' husband."

"Leave the cake, please."

"Miss' husband liked the cake?" she asked, eyes round and ears flopping hopefully. How ears could look hopeful, Hermione didn't know but hers very much did. Hermione knew the elf had been quite concerned about the cake, seeming to think being unable to discover what his favorite dessert was that she'd let Hermione down somehow. Hermione had assured her that wasn't true.

"It was more than adequate," he said.

"He means to say, Elara, that he did like it."

"Oh, Miss' husband, that pleases me so."

"You did well, Elara."

"Thank you, Miss' husband."

He shook his head as the elf popped away and the residuals from the dinner disappeared, minus the cake of course. They stood and Severus took the box with him.

"I'm not sure which bothers me more, I'm known as your husband or that she still calls you miss despite knowing you have a husband."

"Well, we do still have separate rooms."

"Officially. Would you like to change that?"

"I spend most of my time here anyway."

"I just was not sure you were ready for people like Neville and Professor Bergman to know."

"To know we're married? What's to hide? We are, in fact, married. I know we still have things to find out about the artifact and such, but we're both willing to give one another the time and space to adjust to this relationship. I do have one request," she said.

"Oh?"

"Can I keep Isaac?"

He snorted with a shake of his head.

"I suppose it's more than time that the door to my quarters no longer be hidden."

"I suppose for secrecy and, well, to prevent people from attempting to get in."

"Yes, I had enough of people trying to pull pranks in my office over the years let alone if they had access to my quarters."

"I suppose so. I'm sorry that was the case."

"If it wasn't that would have meant I was not being convincing in my role. Regardless, it is what it is and I've noticed a dramatic downtick in malicious thoughts or actions directed at my person this school year."

"And the…"

"The password can remain as it is. After all, you are my lioness so it is a fitting password."

"Really?"

He sighed. "Really."

She threw her arms around him then. "Thank you," she said, kissing him fully on the mouth.

"Mm. If I agree again will I get that as my reward?"

"Maybe," she said, grazing his chin with her lips.

"Then I shall attempt to steal another kiss from you. Yes, Madam Snape, your password shall remain."

She moved from his chin to his mouth, kissing him again.

"Collect your lesson plans then and join me."

"Gladly."

"And Hermione," he whispered.

"Yes?" She turned to look at him.

"Thank you for a pleasantly memorable birthday. My first, if I'm being honest."

"I didn't do much…"

"You did more than anyone else ever has. I wouldn't want pomp and circumstance anyway. My favorite meal, good wine, good company, and a gift that tells me my witch truly does enjoy looking at and touching me are all very satisfying indeed."

"Then I'm glad."

"As am I."

She reached for her lesson plans then on the table near the couch, smiling. She was glad she'd done this. She'd been afraid he'd react badly, blow up at her. She'd wanted to do something, though, to acknowledge his birthday and had chosen simple, underspoken versus grandiose plans. Evidently she'd chosen well and that made her happy.

To think in almost forty years no one had done anything for his birthday before.

She vowed that would no longer be the case.

Ever.

Even if it was just evenings like this, the two of them and quiet. He would know from this day forward his date of birth was something she thought was special.

Return to Top

Part 10 | Part 12

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Matthews/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com