***Chapter Four***

Dear Harry and Ronald:

I'm sorry I have taken so long to let you both know that I did in fact arrive at Hogwarts safely and am settling in. Severus met me at the gate and showed me to my quarters. I can't wait until you both see the portrait guarding the entry to my rooms. Minerva clearly has a sense of humor.

I was able to get my apprentice robes purchased yesterday with Severus' help as well as a couple new dress robes. I have no idea what this school year will bring, but I wanted to be prepared for anything!

Neville is an apprentice this year, of which you may already be aware. There's a third apprentice, Kenny Wright from Chicago. That's in America, just in case you aren't sure. There are two new professors as well: Einar from Norway is teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts and Jean-Pierre is taking over Transfiguration. Severus told me last evening there has not been anyone chosen for the vacant Muggle Studies position, which makes me somewhat sad.

I start my work with Filius after breakfast today. I'm nervous, but excited and ready to start on this step toward my adult life in the wizarding world.

Anyway, I just wanted to get something off to you both so you wouldn't grow concerned and send a team of aurors here to inquire as to my well being.

I hope to see you both soon. I'm not sure of my patrolling schedule or anything yet, but I will let you both know as soon as I'm aware of when we can meet at the Three Broomsticks, hopefully soon.

Take care and let me know how you're both doing,

~HJG

PS: The Fat Lady said to say hello when I saw her. Something tells me she did not miss us last year!

She prepared the letter for the post, using her new G stamp once she'd sealed the short missive with wax. Stupid, but she'd felt so grown up when she'd bought the stamp. Using it on a letter to Harry and Ron for the first time seemed appropriate.

She made her way to the Great Hall pleased to see that while she was the last to arrive there was an empty seat in between Neville and Severus.

"Good morning, Hermione," Neville and the three wizards new to Hogwarts said.

"Good morning, Gentlemen," she said. She set the letter just above her plate so that she'd remember to head to the owlery when she was done with breakfast.

"Severus," she said once she'd taken her seat and ascertained that he'd had some coffee. She wasn't going to repeat her mistake from yesterday morning and greet him before he had.

"Hermione," he said. "How did you sleep?"

"Very well actually. Funny, a bottle of wine sure helps to that end."

She heard him snigger and she smiled at him.

"Outgoing mail," he said with a nod toward her letter.

"Yes. Just a short letter to Harry and Ronald. I don't need them sending anyone here to check on my well being. Would you care to walk with me?"

"That could be arranged. And then you're meeting with Fillius?"

"Yes! I'm excited and ready, but nervous."

"No reason to be."

"I just am. This is the rest of my life! I wasn't even sure four months ago I'd have a rest of my life."

"I know that feeling very well. You'll do fine, Hermione. I think you are very suited to Charms. Then there isn't much you aren't suited for."

"Divination!"

He snorted at that.

"Okay, that's one, however, I stand by my assessment."

"Well, thank you," she said. This was a side to Severus Snape she had never seen and wasn't sure what to make of it. It was a little disconcerting.

"So, just one letter?"

"Yes," she said with a sigh. "Is that being a chicken, do you think?"

He shrugged.

"Did you leave your home with some sort of commitment to Mr. Weasley?"

"No!"

"Then it's not being a chicken. Is it taking the easy way out? Mayhaps, but there's nothing wrong with that. You just got here, you're finding your footing in a world where things are very different than they were just a few months ago. And until now one where you weren't very welcome."

"I appreciate you saying so. I realized this morning as I was sorting through the things from yesterday that I never did get that new Potion Master's Apprentice," she said.

"Maybe I'm using it like a carrot."

She glanced at him. "Did you just make a muggle reference?"

He shrugged. "I am half-blood."

"I know, it's just unexpected."

Soon owls delivered the morning mail, dropping several copies of the day's The Daily Prophet on various plates at the table. It wasn't long and several sets of eyes were on the two of them. He noticed before she did so he reached for his copy before she did.

!Dangerous Jade!

By Rita Skeeter

You're reading it here first, gentle readers. Hermione Granger, alleged best friend of Harry Potter who as readers will recall broke his heart when she left him in the dust to pursue quidditch star Viktor Krum only to break his heart for the freedom to pursue several other wizards. Miss Granger seems to be moving on from wizards her age, likely because they are familiar with her reputation and the games she plays.

That's right, dear readers, Hermione Granger was spotted looking rather cozy with none other than former Death Eater Severus Snape in a clearly romantic Diagon Alley outing that included a stop at both Madam Malkin's and Twilfitt and Tattings where a reliable source told this reporter that the two were too engrossed in one another's company to notice anything else. The former headmaster evidently had to be stopped from joining Miss Granger in the dressing room.

"I think hexes could have been cast and neither would have noticed anything but one another. The look I got when I told him he'd have to wait for her in the designated waiting area was positively lethal."

The two did not appear to be in any hurry as they went from shopping for robes to a couple of apothecaries in the area. After shopping for books they then disappeared from the Leaky Cauldron toward muggle London. A customer said they overheard Mr. Snape talk about a place that had better rooms to rent than those available there.

Is the blackguard of Hogwarts turning over a new leaf? Is love in the air? Or is something more sinister going on? Could the new robes and apothecary visit be tied together? Could it be that Madam Malkin's didn't have the maternity robes necessary? Did Professor Snape need ingredients to brew newly needed prenatal potions? Has he been caught in Hermione Granger's tenterhooks and the ultimate trap? Will there be a Hogwarts baby before Valentine's Day? Was Hermione using her witchly wiles to obtain the supposed brilliant grades she received?

Have you seen the two lovers out together? Do you have reason to believe Hermione's grades were achieved unfairly?

Viktor Krum could not be reached for comment as to the status of his relationship with Hermione Granger, but he is reportedly devastated at her betrayal.

Tune in, gentle readers, as this story is still developing.

"Well, at least it's a good picture," Neville said from beside her.

The picture was of her and Severus leaving Madam Malkin's. She was relieved to have found robes and that Severus had offered input on some that would be acceptable for brewing. He looked relaxed. She honestly couldn't remember ever seeing that look in her former potions professor's eyes before, and she hadn't noticed it yesterday. She did now, though.

If she gave him a moment of contentment then she'd consider the article worthwhile.

"It is rather nice," she admitted, glancing at Severus who didn't look happy but not as if he was about to go off and hex Rita Skeeter either.

"I apologize, Miss Granger," he said.

"Hey," she said, reaching for his arm and then stopping herself. He'd given her permission to address him informally, not to touch him. There was a difference, but it took everything in her not to do it. She was a touchy person by nature, wanting to soothe and help those she cared about when they were hurting. She wasn't sure when Severus Snape had become someone she cared about, but he had.

"You don't think I'm used to her drivel by now? Come on. She's been after me since my second year."

"Yeah, and it's not like they won't find out in a few months there's no baby," Neville said. "Right?" 

He glanced at both of them and frowned slightly. He looked positively panicked and Hermione had to suppress a laugh.

"Hermione?"

"Of course there's no baby, Neville. It's impossible regardless of who she claims the father to be."

"Viktor will not be pleased," Einar said from the other side of Neville.

"Why?" Neville asked with a frown.

"He hates when Hermione gets such attentions and his name gets dragged into it."

"Why?" Neville asked again.

"Witches start sending him owls making offers to help get his mind off of her."

"Must be rough," Kenny said from a few seats away.

"He does not like it," Einar said. "It is not the attention he desires nor are they the witch he desires."

"He's really not that shallow," Hermione agreed.

"I never thought I'd hear you defending a professional quidditch player," Neville said.

"Just because quidditch isn't my life doesn't mean that I would begrudge him playing professionally. It's clearly very popular and he's quite accomplished. I wasn't into muggle sports either."

"I was teasing you, Hermione. Anyone who knows you at all is aware you'd defend someone you call a friend."

After breakfast, Hermione grabbed the letter and glanced at Severus before she stood.

"If you don't want to come with me any longer I understand," she said softly.

"What?"

"I didn't mean to…"

He stood then, walking with her as they left the Great Hall.

"Why would you think I wouldn't want to walk to the owlery with you?"

"You called me Miss Granger," she said, glancing up at him as they made their way out the doors.

"I was, admittedly, surprised. And afraid you may be upset with me."

"Upset with you? Whatever for, Severus?"

"For being linked with me."

"I'm not worried about it."

"It's the reason, truthfully, I hesitated to go with you yesterday when you initially suggested the outing."

"Oh," she said, not having thought of that.

"I haven't been outside of Hogwarts since the war ended."

"Not even Hogsmeade?"

"No," he admitted.

"You should have said something."

"I decided it was time to stop hiding."

"Okay, well, I apologize. Skeeter likes to have her fun at my expense."

She sent the letter to Harry and Ron in care of Harry with one of the school owls. She briefly contemplated if she should get her own owl.

"You don't need to apologize."

"Well, if you had been with someone else…"

"I didn't want to be with someone else."

"Oh," she said, bowing her head a little. She wasn't sure what to make of that statement.

"Do you think I should get an owl?"

It was a drastic change of subject, but she didn't want to spend too much time thinking about the fact Severus Snape had wanted to be in her company because she'd liked being in his very much.

"You can use mine if you wish," he said, leading her to another area of the owlery. "This is Charles."

"Charles? As in Prince Charles?"

He scoffed.

"Hardly. As in Charles Dickens."

"Oh," she said, brightening at that.

"Charles, this is Apprentice Hermione Granger. You may deliver any missive for her the same as you would for me."

"Severus, really that's not necessary…"

"You were just complaining to me about thinking you spent your parents' money unnecessarily. I am granting you use of my owl. You survived seven years without one of your own."

"Well, yes, but Harry and Ronald aren't here anymore."

"And Charles could do with the exercise as I myself have few things to send with him."

"He is gorgeous," she said, setting her finger near an ear as Severus had done.

"He's an eagle-owl."

And virtually all black, of course.

"Well, thank you," she said.

"My pleasure. Maybe he'll abandon me for you if you give him more exercise and better treats."

She laughed at that as they made their way out of the owlery and headed back into the castle.

"I'll see you at lunch then I imagine," she said.

"If not, dinner. I don't always eat lunch with the others."

"You get caught up in your work I imagine."

"Yes."

"Okay, well, have a good day, Severus, and thank you again."

"You, too, Hermione, and you're welcome. It's an owl not a new house, really."

She went up to her quarters to grab her things before meeting with Filius. She rolled her eyes when she spotted the letter on her sitting room table.

She knew who it was from.

She knew what it was.

I am beyond disappointed in you. I welcomed you into my home. How could you do this to Ron? You led him to believe you were in love with him. He assumed you were together and is devastated by this news. I was looking forward to having you as my daughter-in-law. Severus Snape? Hermione, how could you?

Molly's voice dwindled off as the howler went up in flames. Crooks yowled and trotted off at the interruption of his morning nap.

It wasn't as bad as she'd expected truthfully. Though whether or not the older witch realized it, she just made up Hermione's mind for her as to what to do about Ronald. If his own mother believed the drivel Rita Skeeter published over what she knew firsthand about Hermione then she didn't want her for a mother-in-law.

As if she'd done anything at all over the last seven years to deserve that howler!

One kiss does not a marriage or commitment make. If it did her youngest son would already be engaged and married to Lavender.

Something told her it was going to be a long day.

She made her way to Filius' office through the castle instead of the door from her quarters. He would have to set the wards to recognize her and the walk honestly was welcome.

Today was the first day on her path to the rest of her life.

I can do this.

Return to Top

Part 3 | Part 5

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Matthews/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com