TITLE: Just An Average Guy
AUTHOR: Susan / apckrfan
E-MAIL
DISTRIBUTION: My site, AO3, FFnet, LJ.
DISCLAIMER: I don't own any characters. They are owned by JK Rowling, Scholastic, Warner Brothers, Matt Nix, USA Network, etc. No profit is made from this fic.
RATING: FRT
SPOILERS: General spoilers for all of Harry Potter and all of Burn Notice, canon divergent in that Severus Snape lives.
SUMMARY: Unspeakable Severus Snape does not like his partner's choice in dates. He knows Sam Axe, and thinks he's little more than a gold-digging cad. She should know better!
CHARACTERS/PAIRING: Hermione Granger/Sam Axe, Hermione Granger/Severus Snape
DATE STARTED: February 2023
STATUS: Complete
WORD COUNT: 3,750 +/-
FEEDBACK: Please, I can't write better without it.
NOTES: So, another cracktastic crossover idea that came to me. Working an association between Michael Weston and Severus Snape seemed far-fetched even for me (ha!), but Sam Axe. Well, he's pretty much free game and the actor was born in 1958 so would be around Severus' age.




+++++

Severus felt like a jerk. He wasn't even sure why he was here. That wasn't true. He knew why. He just wasn't sure why exactly he cared . She was an adult and had demonstrated more than sufficiently that she could handle herself.

Severus looked up when he heard appreciative whistles break up the silence of the Unspeakable unit's offices. It was the end of the day so there was little talking or goofing off, because everyone wanted to go home.

"Do you and Snape have a new assignment I don't have on my calendar?" Their secretary, Annalisse, asked.

"No," his partner and friend responded. "Master Snape and I do not have anything work-related tonight."

She always did that. Corrected people when they misaddressed him (Mister versus Master, say) or just left off a title altogether as their secretary had just done. (And, yes, he knew that they weren't called secretaries any longer, but old habits were hard to break. His mum called flight attendants stewardesses and stewards until she died.)

"No?"

Silence as more than Annalisse stared at her, clearly waiting for an explanation. Severus, for his part, was absolutely not waiting for an explanation. (Lies!)

"I have a date."

Severus regarded her then, trying to ignore the feeling of … disappointment that washed through him. He knew what the appreciative whistles were for. Granger, while shapely, tended not to flaunt the curves that made her a woman here in the office. It was pretty clear dating a coworker was on her list of things not to do. Today, as she was leaving their office in the Ministry building.

Well, she looked amazing. From head to toe, fingertips to the tips of her toes, she was dressed to impress.

"Really?"

"Yes."

He hadn't heard her mention she had a date. He scowled, eyes going from Hermione to Blaise Zambini who was looking at Hermione with interest. As if he hadn't realized she was a woman before now. Blaise's eyes met Severus' and the other wizard looked at Severus with curiosity. Severus wasn't sure what that was about.

"Have fun, Granger," Blaise said.

"Oh, I plan on it," she said. He didn't like the look in her eye that followed those words. At all.

That was why he was here. Disillusioned outside of a muggle restaurant, watching … Sam Axe eat dinner with his partner. He'd met Sam Axe while training with the Secret Intelligence Service after the war. The man had had an impressive career as a spy with America's Central Intelligence Agency, to the point he was highly respected around the world. And had the contacts and connections around the globe to his name to back that swagger he had as a result of that respect.

Unfortunately, that earned respect did not seem to be something he wished to continue in his retired life. At least when it came to relationships. (In a drunken stupor, Sam had admitted to Severus he was still legally married.) During the sixteen weeks Severus knew him, he'd essentially moved in with four different women one right after the other, sleeping in Severus' guest room for a night or two in between one woman and the next.

The man liked his alcoholic beverages, too. Even tonight, he just got a replacement of what looked like a Mojito. Severus could admit, Hermione was exactly the type of woman Sam would chase. She was relatively well-to-do as well as young and attractive.

The only difference Severus saw from the four or five women he saw Sam with during his training and Hermione?

Intelligence.

He hadn't even known Axe was in town! Severus had left the training assuming Axe had … liked him. (And wasn't that a new experience!) Why would he come to the London area and not tell him?

He shook his head, walking away when he saw Hermione tip her head back a bit and laugh. Sam laughed harder. There was a flush to her skin that he'd never seen on her except when she was laughing with him (she was probably the only person still alive who'd really heard him laugh).

She'd have to catch on to what kind of man she was on a date with. Axe didn't exactly hide it.

+++++

Five nights in a row she went out on dates with him. Severus could only presume by the way she was dressed each day she left their office area anyway. Why would she fall for a man like him? Merlin, couldn't she see?

The sixth day, he took some time off and stopped by her flat. He was inexplicably relieved to find the man wasn't there. It didn't take much of a leap to figure out which hotels he'd stay at. He called around to a few, asking for Sam Axe or Chuck Finley's room. He found him at the sixth hotel and made his way there. There, it took a bit to get his room number, but he managed thanks to the ability to disillusion himself. That coupled with Hermione and Harry familiarizing him with computers.

He knocked on the door to his room. Severus was a little surprised he was staying somewhere this … luxurious. Unless someone else was picking up the tab. In Severus' experience, listening to the other man talk, he didn't seem to like to spend his own money on much of anything.

And he had it to spend. He just preferred not spending it.

Sam Axe was from an American pureblood wizarding family with the pedigree and wealth to go with that distinction. (His parents and siblings had not liked that he preferred living as a muggle and did muggle things like join the American Navy SEALS or Central Intelligence Agency.)

It was how Severus met the man.

Minister for Magic Arthur Weasley thought that some real training in intelligence and covert operations would help the magical world catch up to the times in some ways. Voldemort was a magical foe. The next one might not be.

Sam answered the door, looking very much as if he hadn't gotten out of bed yet. From his mussed hair to him wearing nothing but a pair of sleep pants, hung low on his hips as if he hadn't even bothered pulling them up to answer the door.

"I didn't order any room …" stopping when he realized it wasn't a hotel employee at his door. The look of recognition quickly replaced the one of confusion that had been there a moment ago. "Severus, Buddy, how's it going?"

"It's going decently."

"You got my message then?"

"Your message?" he asked with a frown and a scowl. He had gotten no message from the man. At least not lately.

"Yeah. I stopped by the Ministry of Magic when I got into town."

"I did not get a message."

"Well," he said, looking as if he might be thinking despite obviously having just woken up. "I might have gotten sidetracked."

"Sidetracked?"

"Yeah! I met a woman. We started talking," he shrugged. "You should see her, Buddy. She's amazing! And beautiful."

Severus grimaced at that. Not that he didn't find her beautiful, but that someone might lump him in with this man for thinking so. Sam wasn't too much older than Severus, a year or two maybe.

"Yes, I've seen you with said woman."

Sam blinked, looking confused as he rubbed his eyes.

"Seen me with her?"

"Yes. That is why I'm here."

"Okay?" Sam legitimately sounded confused.

"She is not a bimbo that you can use until you, or she, get tired of your arrangement."

"You know Hermione?"

"I do."

"I guess we haven't really gotten to talking about people we know. We should arrange to meet for drinks then like friends. You know? The three of us. If she knows you, it shouldn't be awkward. Right?"

"You've been out with her every night this week!"

"Well, yeah, you know, having a good time."

"So you are not aware of how intelligent she is. Or just haven't paid attention." Severus scowled. "She was rather hurt by her ex-boyfriend." Severus set a finger against Sam's chest. "I will find you if you do the same."

Sam was an excellent and reputable operative. He was not, however, as powerful of a wizard as Severus was. Both men knew that, so both knew if it came down to a duel who would be the one left standing.

"She deserves better."

He stepped back then, dropping his hand to his side.

"With that, I'll let you get back to your lie-in."

"Yeah, thanks, Severus." His sort of friend frowned as he shut the door behind him. Severus thought he saw … something in the other man's eyes, though.

+++++

He assumed that would be the end of that. The man would think about what Severus said, and realize that a woman who had been hurt wouldn't be something he was interested in. His threat should have helped effect that end.

That did not seem to be the case. As, suddenly, Sam Axe started showing up at the Ministry building for lunch every day. Being magical himself, he was welcome to do so. Hermione usually took lunch with Severus. What was he supposed to say when she asked if he minded if Sam joined them?

For all that Hermione noticed he was even there. He thought she was more intelligent than this!

"So, Pumkin," the man asked, running the back of his hand along her forearm before lacing his fingers through hers. "Am I making my famous Spicy Thai Chicken stir-fry for dinner tonight?"

"That sounds good," Hermione said.

"Great," he said, brushing a kiss along her cheek. "Your place at six?"

"Perfect," she said, turning to look at him. Severus saw a blush bloom on her cheeks as Sam leaned in to kiss her. He stood then. "Good to see you again, Severus."

"You, too," Severus said. Even if he didn't mean it.

He knew the look in her eyes as she turned to face him after watching Sam leave the Ministry cafeteria. She wasn't in love, but she was … intrigued.

"Does he really know all of the people he name drops?" Hermione asked.

"He has a lot of useful contacts and connections, yes."

She regarded him, and he wondered what that look was for. She simply nodded, saying nothing as she took a sip of her tea: barely a teaspoon of sugar and just a drop of milk.

+++++

Their picture made the front page of the Daily Prophet more often than not for a few weeks. As far as Severus knew, Sam hadn't moved from his hotel room to Hermione's flat. Sam would be in for a rude awakening because despite being rather progressive about a great many things. Her moral compass wouldn't allow her to fall into bed with someone she'd known for weeks. (This was the reason Ronald had ultimately cheated and she'd broken things off with him.)

Severus could admit to almost being amused at someone like Sam Axe being foiled by a witch twenty years younger than him. He kept coming around, though, and she kept leaving work when they were in town and she was available to do so looking very fine. They hadn't had many jobs that required them to be away from London for a while now that he thought about it.

About three months into this torture ( what was Sam Axe doing here anyway!) , Blaise Zambini, who had watched all of this almost as closely as Severus had, approached him.

"What is it, Mr. Zambini," he asked when the wizard obviously had something to say but was not doing so.

"He's asked her to go to America with him to get away from the winter."

"They have winter in America, Mr. Zambini." If this student who had been one of Severus' Slytherins found it odd that he remained Mr. Zambini while Hermione hadn't been Miss Granger for years now, he'd never said. And likely never would.

"Not in Miami."

Severus bristled a little at that. He couldn't compete with Miami. He just couldn't. He didn't do nightclubs or anything like that.

"Your point, Mr. Zambini? Last I checked, Hermione is an adult."

He shrugged then. "I just thought you might care."

"Why?"

The wizard scoffed then. "Because I've seen the way you look at her … every … single … time she's left here looking nice for dates with him."

"I have no idea…"

Had he really been that obvious? Did others know? Merlin. He thought he'd hid it so well!

Mr. Zambini shrugged then. "I just thought you should know he's invited her to leave the country with him."

"She is free to use her time off as she deems appropriate. I am her partner, not her supervisor."

Blaise rolled his eyes. "You aren't a stupid man, Mister Snape. If you really don't know why I mentioned this to you, then you are just purposely being obtuse. I'd advise you to think on it before you lose her."

"She would not…" And there was the crux of it. She wouldn't want a scarred, bitter, and older wizard.

"She does! You think this guy can offer her what you can? Clearly the age difference doesn't bother her. Come on, Mister Snape. You know he can't. I don't know him at all and I can see that. He has freeloader written all over him."

Oh the irony in this wizard making that observation, considering his mother's reputation.

Severus scoffed as the other wizard, wisely, walked away. Severus glanced at her empty desk. She'd taken the day off, extending her weekend. Something she didn't do often. Usually, like him, she was first one in, last one out.

He glanced at his watch, shaking his head at the wisdom in doing what he was thinking of doing. Other than Ronald Weasley, she didn't have vast experience with dating. (Not that he could judge her, and he wasn't.)

Sam was charming. Severus had seen him in action more than once to know that even if a woman didn't go home with him (or take him home) they were at least flattered he'd paid attention to them.

Severus was quite certain men like him didn't tell the women they were wooing that they would use them until things got complicated . Or the women got so dissatisfied with his laziness and kicked him out. Hermione was not Malfoy wealthy, but her parents had not left her destitute. Severus wasn't sure Sam Axe cared how wealthy a woman was, for that matter, as long as they could keep him comfortable while he resided with them.

He left the Ministry via floo to his flat and from there apparated near hers. He was not expecting Sam to open the door with his shirt unbuttoned. A bottle of beer was in his left hand, his right hand held the door knob. He looked … very comfortable here.

"Severus. How you doing, Buddy?"

He was less put off by Buddy now than he had been meeting him initially. It had taken him almost half of the sixteen weeks to no longer be tempted to hex him every time he used it. Severus knew he wasn't being rude or insincere. He just was unaccustomed to nicknames.

"I'm all right, Sam. You?"

"All right. I'm surprised you haven't come back to see me. We should catch up." There had been group dinners, but just the two of them catching up since those weeks of training hadn't happened. Severus was busy, but he knew he wasn't that busy.

For a moment, Severus felt bad. This man had, in fact, been a friend to him. They corresponded sporadically over the years.

That moment was fleeting when he fully realized the man had answered Hermione's door with his shirt hanging open and not wearing shoes.

He didn't want to hear this man talk about her.

"I was hoping to speak with Hermione."

"Yeah, sure. I was just about to get in the shower before we headed out to dinner when you called."

Severus hoped that explained his state of dress. And yet, why was he showering here?

"She's in the den. You know the way?"

"I do," he said.

"Great," he said, walking in the direction Severus knew the guest bathroom was.

He went to the den, smirking a bit at her drinking a beer of her own while she was looking in a mirror. Clearly putting the finishing touches on her outfit.

"Hermione," he said.

She spun around, clearly surprised. "Severus."

"I," he cleared his throat, having no idea what to say. "I apologize for coming by unannounced, but I wouldn't be a friend or a gentleman if I stood by and allowed you to get hurt."

She scowled then, brow furrowing.

"I'm sorry?"

Oh Merlin, he knew that look.

"Sam is …" Well, he wasn't sure how to phrase it in polite company. "He is not a gentleman…"

"Severus…"

"I just do not want to see you hurt again. That is all. He has a bit of a habit of leaving rather quickly."

"Severus…"

"He's a friend, and I realize some would say that it's in poor taste to do what I'm doing. However, you are also my friend and more important to me than he is."

"Important?"

"Well," he said. Maybe he hadn't phrased it right. "Mr. Zambini mentioned you were possibly going to Miami with him. I wouldn't feel right if I said nothing about some of his behaviours…"

"Telling me he's not a gentleman?"

"Right, yes."

She took a pull from the bottle of beer, watching him closely. He wasn't sure he'd ever get used to seeing this witch drink muggle beer. She didn't do it often, but she liked it he knew when she was nervous. "Why?" she asked.

"What do you mean ‘why'?"

"Why? I can't be the first woman you know who you think has gone out with a man you didn't think was decent?"

He snorted. Understatement of the year.

"It's been a long time since I cared enough to notice."

"Mm," she said.

She set the bottle on a nearby tabletop and stepped toward him then. She, he only now took the time to notice, was already dressed to go out. Somewhere formal, it seemed, given the gown she wore was to the floor and she had gloves on and jewelry suitable for something fancy. Was Sam making her pay for whatever they were doing?

Then she did the most unthinkable thing once she'd gotten close to him. She reached up and kissed him, sliding her gloved hands around his neck.

He kissed her back, of course. He wasn't a fool. Perhaps doing so was ungentlemanly considering her date was in the house getting ready to take her out, but she initiated so he took his cue from her. He gave a soft groan when she started to draw away, licking his lower lip before biting it gently.

"He's here for a job, Severus."

"I'm sorry?"

"I'm helping him with a case. That's why you and I haven't had many assignments that take us far from home."

"You are not?"

She laughed then. "No, you daft man, I am not. He's nice and all, don't get me wrong, but I'd prefer a man who hasn't slept with more women than my mind can imagine. Regardless of his age."

He snorted softly.

"Yes, well… You don't date coworkers," he said.

"Mm. Are you actually going to ask me out on a date if I tell you that, again, you daft man, you're not a coworker. You're my partner."

"There is a difference?"

"Of course there is."

He narrowed his eyes, regarding her. He waved his hand, ensuring her lip paint was back as it was supposed to be.

"He's invited you to Miami."

"He thinks I'd enjoy the beach. I can't say he's wrong, Severus!"

"He called you pumpkin."

"Actually, he calls me pumkin, without the second p. Intentionally, I might add, because it drives me nuts and he knows I have to grin and bear it. It's just what he calls me for this," she said, gesturing to the gown and everything.

"So, you would be agreeable to a date?"

"I've been hoping you'd ask me for about two years, Severus, so yes."

"You never said…"

"Look at who you are! You came here to warn me away from a guy you thought I was dating because he's not a gentleman. The last thing I wanted to do was upset the ideas you have about a woman pursuing you and have that be the reason you never do. I figured I'd wait until the third or fourth date before I started upsetting the ideas."

He chuckled. "I look forward to it."

"Oh, good, you found her, and I'm assuming she told you what we're doing or I'd slug you for holding my girl's hands."

"You couldn't accomplish that if you tried, Axe."

"It would be fun trying, Buddy."

Severus scoffed goodnaturedly.

"I know what you mean about the nickname he chooses driving you crazy, by the way."

Hermione gave a low snigger at that.

"What?" Sam asked then. "It's better than Doll and Pal."

Severus narrowed his eyes, letting go of her hands (that he hadn't even realized he'd been holding until Sam pointed it out), as he took a few steps back to look at her. "I don't know, Doll could work."

Hermione rolled her eyes.

"Let me guess, that's one of those ideas on the third or fourth date you'll try to dash?"

"Maybe," she quipped.

"How did you know?" Severus asked Sam.

"You threatened me, Severus. You, of all people, wouldn't have done that for someone you didn't have feelings for."

He snorted. The other wizard wasn't wrong.

"All right. Kiss good night, so that Pumkin and I can get on with our ball."

"As long as she doesn't come home as a pumpkin, gladly," Severus said.

"Oh, and Severus, Buddy, that beach invitation is open to you, too."

Severus nodded a bit, shaking his head. He tried to picture hanging out at a beach. He couldn't deny if this witch, and even the wizard, were with him. It probably would be rather fun. He did like the Mojitos Sam was fond of.

Sam turned his back to them so that Severus could step up to the witch and do exactly that. The first kiss was pretty nice, but this one was even better.

Why?

Because he knew there would be another one.

~The End~

Return to Top

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback