***Chapter Nineteen***
April 2000

He swore Albus was deliberately dragging out his days. It was Easter holidays for both Hogwarts and University of Edinburgh. That should have meant more time together. They were not staying overnight at Malfoy Manor, though they did have dinner there. That should have given him more not less time to spend with his witch as they were getting down to the last couple of months before their wedding.

Albus seemed to be using this time without Severus having to teach or grade papers and tests to fill his days from sunup to sundown with headmaster training. With Albus and without Hermione in sight.

He was still surprised at how … accepting the others on staff were of his promotion. If any had concerns they hadn't voiced them aloud. At least not that Severus was aware of. His first order of business in August would be to meet with each staff member individually to go over his, and their, expectations as well as to find out their plans for the future. If he was going to have to replace several he would like to know sooner rather than later. To this point, no one had tendered their notice effective the end of this school year.

He took that as a good sign.

Harry had learned after that first time not to come by them unannounced. This pleased Severus to no end because he did in fact endeavour to enjoy the pleasures that were Hermione's flesh everywhere he could possibly in his quarters.

He had years to make up for, seventeen of them, and she was more than willing to allow him to make attempts at putting a dent in those lonely years without her. Not that he phrased it in such a manner, and he had been rather preoccupied over a good portion of them to truly worry about a sex life. Now that he had one in his grasp, though, and with a willing participant who had yet to say no to any suggestion (and had even made many of her own). Well, he planned on enjoying it to its fullest.

It was after midnight and he was beyond exhausted as he shed his robe and cravat as soon as the door to their quarters closed behind him. He made his way to their chambers, undressing, and only as he was about to slide into bed to join his soon to be wife did he notice she wasn't there. He just assumed she'd fallen asleep, not unusual given the late hour.

"Hermione?" he whispered.

Had something happened? Had she been called to her flat in Edinburgh for some reason?

A search of their quarters netted him no fiancee until he made his way to their bathroom. The castle had changed his pretty standard tub and shower into an almost pool-like tub. No doubt it was for Hermione as baths were not something he'd partaken in before her presence in his life. He did with her on occasion and he had grown rather fond of them truth be told.

"Hello," she said, wandlessly parting the bubbles so he had a perfect view of her naked form in the water.

"Hello yourself. You worried me."

"I was getting worried that Albus was going to keep you all night."

He scoffed that her thoughts were in-line with his.

"Crunch time," he said.

"I know, Severus," she whispered. She did know and she was not angry about his night running long. "There's room for you, and I selected the bubbles that smell like your aftershave tonight."

He didn't need to be asked twice. He shed his boxers and stepped into the tub, groaning softly at the feel of the water. He reclined behind her for a moment once he was immersed and comfortable. He wasn't physically exhausted, but mentally there was a lot going on.

Severus was beginning to realize that Albus may not have had a choice in who he selected as his successor. It seemed as though Hogwarts had picked Severus so the changing of the wards and protections was not awkward or difficult. As of this weekend, Severus could now apparate anywhere within Hogwarts' property.

Pretty much this school year had been Severus doing the work with Albus supervising and offering advice when needed. So really he was headmaster just without the title, or the bump in pay. He'd gone to every meeting with Albus, reviewed every contract, and signed every document with Albus' signature immediately following his.

He slid up closer to his fiancee, drawing her against his chest as his arms slid around her waist.

"Mm, is that lavender, too?" he asked.

She laughed softly.

"Yes, I knew you'd be tired when it hit midnight and you weren't home yet."

"I'm not that tired, Hermione," he murmured, kissing her ear and neck. His fingers slid over her breasts and stomach, lower into the water. In truth he was never too tired for her he was coming to realize.

"I can feel that," she said, pressing against his hardening length at her back.

"Well, then, Witch, fix it."

"Demanding wizard," she said with a soft laugh.

She shifted and positioned herself to slide him into her. He loved when she was on top and facing away from him. He loved her any which way they ended up, but there was something so raw about her in this position. She took control without seeming to give him or his pleasure any thought (of course if she gained pleasure he did in kind so in essence she was).

The lavender added to the bathwater wasn't solely for him. She was working just as hard as he was so restful nights for both was key. After their bath they'd dry one another off, fall into bed without bothering to put clothes on in a tangle of limbs and her hair.

Always her hair seemingly waiting for him to do the wrong thing so it could finally choke him while he slept.

What a way to go, though.



It was the day before their wedding. School had let out for Hermione in May and Hogwarts had finished just today. It would not have been his preferred date to marry immediately after Hogwarts let out, but Albus insisted it was time for him to move on.

He stood on the Astronomy Tower platform, taking in Hogwarts grounds as they were readied for their relatively small ceremony tomorrow. Hermione, Aiyanna, Viktor, Harry, and Draco were working with the elves to ensure everything was just so.

"Doubts, Severus?" Albus' voice came from behind him.

Severus scoffed. He was feeling a great number of things at this moment. Doubt was not among them. He was confident in embarking on starting a life with this witch tomorrow.

"No," he said, looking over his shoulder at the man who had caused him a wide variety of so many feelings over the years. "Why do you ask?"

"I see your witch on the grounds with wizards some might say were more suitable…"

"Some can keep their opinions to themselves, Albus. What is it? You've bordered on denouncing our relationship from the beginning."

"I just want you happy, Severus. I'm not sure marriage and being headmaster equates to that."

"You've waited until now when I am officially headmaster and a day shy of marrying my witch to make such a bold statement."

"I've voiced questions over the year, my boy."

Both wizards saw his witch set her hand against Harry's forearm and laugh.

"She is mine, Albus, and we will make it work. She loves Hogwarts as I do."

"I'm not sure that's possible, but Phineas Black seems impressed by her."

"Phineas does?" Severus asked, storing that one away for later.

Had she had reason to interact with the former headmaster's portrait? He was aware she had in her original timeline. She'd had no reason to this go around. Very little impressed Phineas Black, and certainly not a muggleborn.

"Mm, yes, he said so after one of the meetings I had with her in my office. I can't recall which it was, but he did. He denied being familiar with her, but he was the most vocal as to why the headmaster having a wife could actually work when so many voiced opposition."

"Is that what worries you, old man? If there's a headmaster's wife, someone else will know the secrets of what goes on behind the screen?"

"I'm not sure what you mean, but yes it is a bit concerning. We don't really know this witch."

"I know this witch, Albus. I am marrying her, you are not. There is no we involved in the equation. You know as well as I do that Hogwarts would not accept me as headmaster if it thought my relationship with Hermione was problematic for me performing the position or to Hogwarts safety."

"And what of Lily, Severus?"

Ah.

Here it was.

The crux of it, at least in Albus' eyes.

The old man just couldn't stop meddling, and attempting to twist the knife that was the fact he was the one who told the Dark Lord about the prophecy.

"What of her, Albus?"

"You have done a very good impression of someone in love with a dead woman for the past twenty years."

"Actually, in truth, Albus, I have not. That's what you wished to see and as there was no one else I did little to correct your thought on that. I have put my feelings for Lily Potter away long before now. I couldn't have raised Harry if I hadn't. Hermione is also aware of my past, all of it. You just wanted, nay needed, me to still be in love with her because it fit into whatever agenda you had."

He looked at his sort of friend then. Really looked at him. When had he gotten so … old. He'd known this man for the majority of his life at this point. He loved and loathed him equally.

"Just because I didn't have a different witch on my arm at every ministry and Hogwarts event does not mean I've been pining away for Lily. I was, clearly, waiting for the right witch. I haven't loved Harry's mum, James' wife, for a very long time. I'm also more than certain that what I felt for her was not love, and you know that as well as I do. Likely you knew it even before I did."

Severus turned his attentions back to the group of friends on the grounds. If he wasn't mistaken, Draco was interested in Hermione's American guest and friend. He was certainly trying to capture her attention at any rate. She was pureblood from what Hermione told him, but Severus was not sure her not nationality would not be a con against her. Not for Draco, but for Lucius.

He chuckled softly, thinking of children that the couple might produce with her dark hair (because that would obviously be the dominant trait) and a somewhat darker version of Draco's blue/gray eyes. The witch did not seem to return that interest, though. Her attentions were seemingly elsewhere. Draco would be sorely disappointed to find this competition would end much as the top of class competition had. Severus would not have any ill conceived notions about her because of her heritage either.

Except that Severus wasn't entirely sure Harry's interest didn't lie with the other wizard with their group. Viktor Krum had a habit of making it into Harry's conversations with regularity these days. And he knew they'd seen one another more than a few times since Harry moved into his own flat.

Severus knew the biggest disadvantage any witch could have was someone who seemingly wanted Harry for being Harry Potter. He'd gotten plenty of that while at Hogwarts. Of course there were times to play that card, but establishing a relationship and potential future with a witch was not one of them. Aiyanna had been here for a month and Severus knew she'd spent a few of the days with Harry to take in a quidditch match. Hermione had gone, too, but came home in the evening where Aiyanna had stayed for more than just one night. He was pretty sure the two of them had gone to one of Viktor's matches as well.

Severus didn't ask and Harry hadn't volunteered information as to what transpired between the two of them. They were both adults and Severus knew Harry wouldn't take advantage of someone. Severus had taught him better than that, and Harry didn't want gossip spread about him. Loving and leaving witches like the wizarding world's version of Casanova would cause gossip not stop it. He truly just didn't seem to be built that way either. Severus could admit Harry's father had been much the same way, once he'd set his focus on Lily Evans at least. He didn't have many good things to say about James Potter but fidelity was one of them.

"If you have nothing useful to say on this, the evening before I wed, Albus just leave me be."

"I wish you happiness, Severus."

He scoffed. "Your wishes are appreciated."

"Hogwarts does accept her."

"Of course it does," Severus said.

Albus had no idea the lengths Hogwarts had gone to get them here. He wasn't fool enough to believe it was for their benefit. This end, lives saved, and a generation of children not growing up worrying evil would take over their world is what it had been done for. Families intact, souls (including his own he wagered) saved, bonds forged from the ashes of war. They'd just been the tools it had chosen to use for that end for whatever reason.

He'd researched pretty extensively for the first two years or so of his employment for any hint that something as life-altering as this had been done before. Of course, he realized at about that two year mark that if it had been done before there would not be a record of it.

He liked to believe, though, if it had been done from within Hogwarts that the castle would let him know. Of course, the magical world was vast and extended far beyond the walls and grounds of Hogwarts. It was easy to forget that at times.

Though Albus' mention of Phineas possibly liking Hermione did make him wonder. One day when they'd returned from their honeymoon he would bring Phineas' portrait into his private study and have a conversation with him. Being a former Slytherin he didn't believe that would be a suspicious move. It was probably nothing more than him hearing the news about her over the years.

It could have just been Albus being suspicious. Anyone new to Hogwarts fell under Albus' careful scrutiny. It probably drove him completely mad that there was nothing to be found on Hermione other than excellent grades, glowing teacher appraisals, and published articles.

"No hen party for your bride?"

Severus sighed. Would the old wizard never leave? He'd come up here for some peace and quiet while taking in the goings on below.

"No. She, her friend Aiyanna, Minerva, and a few others went to the Three Broomsticks last weekend."

"And you?"

He scoffed. As if he had any interest in a bachelor party.

"No, you would have been aware of any type of pre-wedding festivities for me. Harry, Draco, Luicus, and I enjoyed a quiet and entertainment-free night of conversation and good whiskey while she was out with her friends."

Albus chuckled at that.

"And her textbook?"

"Which one?"

"She's written more than one?"

"She has completed the Muggle Studies textbook. She is undertaking Potions next since she has my undivided attention. That she has completed through year two."

"And after Potions?"

"Well, despite Cuthbert's unwillingness to move onto the afterlife I do think a more credible and user friendly History of Magic text should be in place."

"And how do you endeavour to get the students to read it when he follows a different lesson plan?"

It was a legitimate questions and one Severus still pondered, though he thought he was closer to a solution than he had been when he initially thought of what her next subject to take on should be.

"Two end of term group exams based strictly on the textbook that their final History of Magic grade will be contingent upon. Graded by myself. In the beginning I will only assign certain portions so the students aren't reading two completely different textbooks for the same subject. Eventually I hope to either get him to use the textbook in question or move along so someone will teach it as it's meant to be taught."

Albus' eyebrows arched at that. Severus thought the idea had merit. Eventually, he hoped that enough of the staff would see the wisdom behind this plan and aid him in grading the exams. He knew Hermione would assist him, but as she was not staff it really exceeded the expectations of his spouse to grade essays in her spare time. She would do it, of course.

"This will not be implemented immediately, of course, and I realize the Board of Governors may have something to say."

"I'm sure you will present them with a well-researched argument that they will be unable to find many - if any - flaws with, Severus. There is a reason I, and Hogwarts, chose you to replace me."

"I appreciate that, Albus." He said, shaking the older wizard's hand. "We'll see you tomorrow?"

"I wouldn't miss it for the world." He turned then as if to leave. "Oh, and Severus?"

"Yes, Albus?"

"I know Hogwarts is in not just capable but the most worthy hands."

"I'm pleased you think so."

There was a hint of sarcasm in Severus' response, but in truth he was glad his predecessor thought so.

"I did not say think, my boy, I said that I know," he said, his eyes twinkling as they were wont to do.

Severus had done what he could to be prepared for the end of term and school year so Albus didn't have to do too much while he was gone. Albus had already removed all of his belongings from the office and his quarters. That left the elves free to move their belongings in over when it was convenient over the eleven days.

He'd be afraid things were going too smoothly, but it had taken over twenty years and when it got down to it, two wars to get him to this point.



The wedding was overall a small affair. Aiyanna was her only attendant and Harry was his. Both of her parents were in attendance as was his mother as well as his cousin who'd aided his mother many years ago. He hadn't invited his father. Otherwise, those on staff who wanted to attend as well as Minister Blanche (who Severus had to admit wasn't too bad of a tool compared to a few others in the recent past).

None of it mattered, though, none of the guests or decorations. He only had eyes for his witch as her father walked her to him, lifting her veil and kissing her cheek before taking his seat next to his wife.

Within an hour she was Hermione Jean Snape, bound to him legally by both muggle and wizarding laws.

Harry was the first to congratulate him, hugging him tightly and Severus couldn't resist but to hug his ward back.

The ceremony was followed by dinner in the Great Hall and some dancing thanks to the Wizarding Wireless Network before they took their leave to an undisclosed hotel in London for the night. From there it was ten days in New Orleans that included a riverboat cruise much like Rhett and Scarlett had embarked upon in their honeymoon. Hermione had been more than a little surprised Severus had actually read Gone With the Wind , even if he'd read it to his mother while she was recuperating because he'd known it was a favorite book of hers as a girl. It hadn't mattered to her why just that he had.

They walked the French Quarter. They listened to jazz, ate delicious food, drank delicious cocktails, went on a ghost tour, a swamp tour, a cemetery tour, to an art museum, and in general lived as muggle tourists for over a week. Severus couldn't remember a time he'd done nothing academic for that length of time and he knew the same was true for Hermione. Both knew, though, once they got back to Hogwarts there would be little downtime for either of them.

Her wedding ring was a plain gold band that was shaped and fitted to basically snap into the Wampus and snake ring he'd given her. She could remove them and wear them separately if she wished to but she didn't seem to want to. She liked having a unique ring, especially liked that it was personal to them.

While he'd worn his ring on his right finger for the past year and a half. Having it on his left hand was new. Neither saw the point of getting him a different one. He didn't need one from her, this one meant and represented them more than anything else he could think of.

Different.

Permanent.

He was a husband.

He'd been responsible for Harry for years. This was different, though. This was a partnership. The rest of his life.

He had to admit he was looking forward to seeing where that partnership and the rest of his life took him.

Took them.

Return to Top

Part 18 | Part 20

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com