***Chapter Fourteen***

"There's an owl here for you, Severus" Harry said from their living room. As if there was anyone else in their quarters currently for him to be addressing.

"Okay," Severus said.

"He's not leaving, I think it might be important, Severus."

This was said apparently realizing that Severus wasn't going to drop what he was doing just because Harry had told him an owl was here despite the unusualness of receiving one at this time rather than with the daily mail.

"Fine," Severus said.

He closed his inkwell and set his quill down. He went into the other room and saw Harry petting what was clearly a postal owl. He scowled as he took the letter from it, giving it a treat. Harry probably already had, Severus realized too late. Not that an extra owl treat would hurt anything. He broke open the seal and scowled, not recognizing the handwriting at all.

Professor Snape,

I would like to meet you to discuss my daughter. I will be at the Three Broomsticks in Hogsmeade. I took the floo here from the Leaky Cauldron and found the post office to send this owl. I know your place of employment is nearby but that I will not be able to see or find it so I hope that you will come to me.

Sincerely,

Palmer Granger

"Wow, I don't think I've ever seen that look on your face. What is it?"

"What?" Severus asked, eyes flicking to Harry who was still petting the owl. What did his ward see, he wondered? He knew very plainly what he was thinking. Why had the man chosen today to come? And here? Why hadn't they waited until Hermione chose to introduce him to them? Had she said something to them that made them want to dissuade him from pursuing her?

It was a little late for that!

"You look, I'd say scared but as I've never seen you look frightened in all of my life it's hard for me to know. I sort of thought you didn't get scared."

He scoffed.

He wasn't scared of a muggle man.

No. It was worse than that.

He was petrified that this muggle man would find him … lacking. Would deem him not worthy of his daughter. That that opinion would then be passed on to his daughter who would think twice about being with him. She was the type who while a free thinker might not want to go against the parents who to this point had been nothing less than extremely supportive of her.

He showed Harry the letter.

"Oh," Harry said, regarding him after he'd finished reading it. "Meeting the father-in-law. Something she won't have to worry about doing anyway. Well, best get to it then," Harry said.

If Severus didn't know better, he'd think that Harry was enjoying this.

He probably was. All of the years he taught (and scolded) him on how to do things properly, which fork to use, and all the other things etiquette dictated his ward learn to function in wizarding (and polite muggle) society. Well, they were obviously coming back to bite Severus in the arse.

Severus sent the postal owl on its way with a huff. This was not what he'd planned on doing with his day. At all. He had grading to work on.

He knew meeting her parents was inevitable. He assumed, though, that she'd be with him and it would be a planned event so that he'd be able to prepare. Prepare what he wasn't exactly certain. His mind hadn't taken him that far.

He assumed he had time.

Obviously not.

"Be nice, Severus."

"I'm not nice!"

"Well, try to be nice, remember this is the man you want to let know he can entrust the care of his daughter to you for, you know, only the next century or two."

"You are not helping, Potter."

Harry rolled his eyes and laughed. He actually laughed!

At him!

"You look fine. Go before he thinks you're not coming and Hermione hears about it. She loves you. Whatever you're thinking right now that this man could do to stop that isn't going to happen. If she finds out that you avoided seeing him, though. That could."

He sighed with a shake of his head. He grabbed his coat and hat before apparating to Hogsmeade, outside the Three Broomsticks. He disillusioned himself, looking through the windows for a moment to see if he could spot him. He wasn't nervous, per se, but Harry was right. This was the man he'd be involved with until said man died. What if he made a horrible first impression? What if her father found him to be too old for her? Of course he could ‘what if' himself until he was old and gray.

He removed the disillusionment and entered the pub, making his way to Mr. Granger's table.

"Mr. Granger," he said, removing his hat before offering his hand.

He removed his coat and then took a seat across from the man. His potential father in-law. He hoped this man would become his father-in-law, had been counting on that for seventeen years.

He had to admit, Harry was right.

It was a frightening thought. He truly thought that he would never get this. A father in-law. When she hadn't shown at Hogwarts and before he discovered why. Well, he assumed the world was playing another cruel joke on him.

See what you could have had if you hadn't fucked up and taken the Dark Mark. Or called your only friend a mudblood.

Or any number of indiscretions.

Except the Room, Hogwarts, had allowed them to meet. If he'd royally fucked up even the chance at happiness he wouldn't have been led to her that night in his fifth year. He was confident in that, just as he was certain he'd been brought to her rather than the other way around.

"Thank you for coming."

"I will admit you did not leave me much choice if I wish to continue seeing Hermione."

"No, you're right. She does not know that I am here."

"I presumed as much." He didn't think she would let her father just surprise him in such a fashion. She wouldn't think he deserved that. At least he hoped she wouldn't.

"You spent a few nights with her."

It was a statement not a question he noticed. Severus paused before answering, surprised somehow that her father was aware of that. Hermione hadn't said, but he presumed she'd told them something other than they were spending their nights together.

"I did."

The two nights in London had been exceptional. He truly didn't want them to end and looked forward to a lifetime of them.

Their nights at Malfoy Manor were not as exceptional. Well, the days had been more than fine. The nights, though, were another matter altogether.

She'd had horrible nightmares and had to retch in their bathroom more times than he could count. He still wasn't sure why. She didn't bring it up and he didn't want to embarrass her anymore than she already obviously felt. She'd insisted that she was fine and he had to take her at her word that was true.

He would get to the bottom of it at some point, though, especially considering the first two nights seemed as though she slept nightmare-free.

They both ordered a butterbeer as they regarded one another.

"She needs to finish school."

Severus stared at the man.

Was there something he was missing?

Was there a reason she wouldn't finish school? Had she talked to them about quitting or something while she'd visited them? She'd never once said anything to Severus that suggested she would ever quit. Had she expressed doubts to them during her time with them at Christmas?

"I'm not sure what you're implying," he said, casting a Muffliato around their table. "I have no reason to want to see a witch with Hermione's potential do anything but finish school. All of the schooling she chooses to embark upon."

"Just see to it that nothing sidetracks her," the older man said, regarding Severus.

Severus' eyes widened as he caught onto his meaning. He was ashamed it had taken him this long to decipher the implication. The thought of Hermione with child being a possibility hadn't even occurred to him. Of course, they would have had to actually be intimate in that way in order for the possibility to exist.

"We are not, have not," he closed his mouth.

This was Hermione's father. And yet he was suggesting that Severus was going to intentionally get her with child or something. He supposed there were men who would do such a thing. Severus was not one of them.

"I have no intentions of doing anything but supporting her in whatever capacity she might need me to while she goes to school."

"Yes, well, you can support her while she remains clothed."

"Of course, Mr. Granger," he said.

Too late for that, but Severus kept quiet on that point.

He'd behaved as a gentleman should.

It had been years since he'd had need of the impotency potion he brewed. He hadn't wanted her to be uncomfortable or to feel as if he was pressuring her. He'd been surprised when she hadn't insisted on separate beds.

"She is as intelligent as they come. I knew that within about three months of her being born. However, when it comes to affairs of the heart."

"I assure you despite our age difference that I am no more experienced than she is when it comes to matters of the heart. I have spent the last seventeen years raising another couples' son, a couple who was murdered in front of him. He was little more than a babe himself, but caring for him has not always been easy. It has always been my priority, though. Socializing was not something I did."

Harry was of course a convenient excuse, but it was true to an extent. At first he was paranoid that anyone in their right mind wanting to be seen socially with him was trying to get their hands on Harry. For nefarious purposes or not didn't matter to him.

There was, of course, the fact that he did not want to meet anyone. He'd already met the one he wanted to spend his life with, at least he'd been pretty confident he had. So why bother looking elsewhere? He couldn't tell anyone about her, which had posed some difficulties over the years. Waiting seventeen years for the potential of being happy for the rest of his life with someone who both liked and accepted him seemed to be a more than acceptable trade off.

They were quiet, sipping on their drinks. He wasn't sure how this man passed for being magical in Diagon Alley, but he supposed people were so scared of squibs that they didn't question anyone who claimed to be that. Scared of them was, of course not true, scared of what caused them was more appropriate.

No one liked to be reminded that they were perhaps one genetic marker away from being non-magical. He also had the added benefit of knowing the man wasn't magical. 

Surprisingly, after that topic was out of the way, the two men had a relatively decent conversation. Severus learned more than he ever wanted to know about muggle dentistry but he also gleaned some information about a young Hermione. He smiled as her father recounted a stuffed parrot she'd made to attack a babysitter when she was about four. As it turned out, the babysitter was far from a suitable caregiver. Her parents hadn't recognized the signs of their daughter's unhappiness, though.

She'd been dismissed after that and they paid more attention to Hermione's response to those after that one.

They left the Three Broomsticks with a promise to find time to take in a quidditch match together when Harry's team played next. Her father beamed at the idea of being included in something magical and Severus knew he had made the right decision in inviting her parents to join them. It sounded as if they had never really been involved or included in anything magical. Unsurprising with Hermione in America for seven years.

Now to tell Hermione.

Would she be upset? Would it bother her that he made the decision to include her parents without consulting her? She didn't like quidditch, but she'd gone to Harry's first professional match and he was aware she'd gone to some of Krum's in years' past. These were things they'd never discussed as they'd never really had need to.

Neither were counting on her father just showing up, obviously.

He glanced at his watch, saw that he had time before he had anything on his schedule. In truth his time was his own at the moment for grading and lesson plans. He apparated to a spot in Edinburgh near her flat and walked the rest of the way to her muggle apartment.

"Severus," she said, clearly surprised when she opened her door to find him there. "Is everything all right?"

"Of course."

He supposed that wasn't a good sign of how much he surprised her with an unscheduled visit if she assumed something was wrong by him showing up.

"Okay," she said, stepping back a bit. "Come in."

He kissed her, sliding his arms around her. He loved how she tasted and how she responded to him. Even times like this, surprised and uncertain as to why he was here. Her arms inched around his neck and she drew him closer. Merlin, he wanted her.

Here.

Now.

Fuck.

How long was the appropriate amount of time to wait to … take steps toward moving beyond kissing? Not that kissing her was a hardship or unenjoyable.

Seventeen years.

Prior to seeing her in July it hadn't been much of a thought or need. Now, though.

"Hello," she whispered when they finally parted.

She was breathless and he loved that tone when it was her using it. That he caused it in her. That their kisses were the catalyst. He wasn't sure he'd ever tire of kissing her hello or good morning after waiting years to be able to.

"Are you not feeling well?"

He only just now realized how she was dressed. He wasn't sure he'd ever seen her dressed this way during the day. Then, he supposed, other than their time in London and at Malfoy Manor he hadn't seen her on a normal day. Maybe she dressed like this all of the time.

"Yes, why?"

"It appears that you are dressed for bed," he said.

"Oh, no. I mean, yes, you're right but I'm fine. I've already been to class and am done for my day. I changed when I got home. I just wanted to be comfortable while I did homework."

"Good."

"If I had been expecting you, of course I wouldn't have…"

"Hermione, I am taken with you regardless of what you are wearing at any given time."

She blushed, lowering her eyes a bit. "That may be true, but…"

He set the tips of his index and middle finger under her chin tilting it up so she had to look into his eyes. "No buts, my Hermione. Your attire does not impress me. Flatter me perhaps that you endeavor to dress in such a fashion for me when you go through that effort. I initially met you while you were dressed in a tanktop, jeans, and bare feet, however, so surely you realize it's you I am taken with not your clothes."

"I know," she stood on her tiptoes and kissed him again. "So, to what do I owe this unexpected pleasure?"

"Your father paid me a visit today. Well, he requested I meet him at the Three Broomsticks."

Her eyes widened. She looked … scared.

Was that the look Harry had seen in his own eyes earlier today? Why was she scared? Did she not want him to meet her parents? Had she decided after spending consecutive nights and days together over the holidays that he was not what she wanted in a suitor after all?

She was not wearing his bracelet, he noticed. He glanced quickly at her left hand with that realization, saw the ring he'd given her in its place.

That eased his mind.

So why was she scared?

"I'm so sorry…"

Oh.

She thought that he would be mad. That he would be upset with her. Certainly he wouldn't have come here and kissed her as he had if he was upset. Evidently she didn't realize that.

"There is no need to apologize, Hermione. He was actually rather … pleasant once he'd warned me in no uncertain terms that I am not to prevent you from being able to finish all of your schooling. We parted ways with the plan of him joining us at one of Harry's upcoming quidditch matches."

"Quidditch? Really?" she asked.

"He seemed rather pleased to be included in something magical."

"Oh, yes, I will admit it has frustrated them over the years that they paid for my schooling yet were kept so separated from it. Mum was more … receptive to my being a witch than Dad. He tried, but he's a rather tangible person. So, just getting my letters, seeing my grades wasn't quite enough for him. I have no doubt he'd love to see quidditch. They understood, of course. My story of them being squibs would only go so far if people started meeting them. They'd be like Arthur Weasley with muggle items but in reverse."

Severus laughed heartily because he could see that very clearly, though he was not as familiar with Arthur Weasley as he was Molly from their childrens' schooling. Hermione ran her fingers over his mouth.

"What?" he asked, looking into her eyes for some indication of her thoughts. Was she mad after all?

"Nothing, I just truly love hearing you laugh," she said. "I have no memory of you doing it. I mean I imagine you must have. Maybe," she said, growing quiet as if she realized that the life that Severus had led probably gave him little reason to laugh. "So it's pleasant to hear."

"It sounds as if I didn't do much of it previously, but I assure you while I remain a very private person; Harry as well as Lucius, Narcissa, and Draco have heard it from time to time over the years."

"I'm glad," she whispered. "So, quidditch with my dad?"

"Yes. I'll get Harry's schedule and we'll plan it."

"How did my dad get to Hogsmeade?" she asked, clearly not having thought of that before this moment.

"He used the floo from the Leaky."

"Good for Dad!"

"Yes, I was impressed with his resourcefulness, and knowing Hogsmeade was close to Hogwarts. Will your mother be showing up next?"

"Doubtful. I'm sure Dad will tell her how it went."

"That must mean you mentioned me?"

"I told you that I did."

"You did?"

"Mm hmm, while we were in London."

"I was obviously distracted by having you in my presence for hours at a time without interruptions and to myself."

"Obviously."

"Or I have selective memory and chose not to focus on such information."

"Yet your mother has known about me…"

"Well, she's known Hermione Granger exists. As you were a toddler when I initially gave her the information I did not say more not knowing if I would accomplish my task with my life intact. I just wanted her aware that you may show up one day."

"Oh," she said.

He slid his thumb along her jaw. "She knows now, though."

Her eyes brightened at that.

"I had to explain where that assortment of berries you sent for her came from."

"She liked them?"

"Liked them? Hermione, she baked for weeks afterward. Harry and I were inundated with muffins and cookies delivered to us. She says she brought some to the other nurses at work, too."

"I'm so glad."

"I apologize if I did not say so previously. I don't always think of everything when I write to you."

"I know. It is a difficult way to keep in touch sometimes. I find myself jotting things down that I want to say and then when I write you a letter looking through the list."

"Of course you have a list even for letters to me," he said.

"Smart ass," she quipped.

"How are studies going?"

"Fine."

"And your parents are okay with you spending Easter holidays with me?"

"Yes, they're used to it."

"That doesn't mean they're okay with it."

"They are, Severus."

"Okay."

He was a little concerned, especially after his father's warning today. He was honestly surprised the demand to marry her hadn't come with Severus' confirmation that they'd spent nights together over Christmas break. They were evidently more progressive than most magical parents.

"You really just came here to tell me about my dad?"

"I did. I wasn't sure if you knew or not, and wanted to be sure that I told you in case they said something."

"I didn't know, but thank you. Can you stay for a while?"

"I should be getting back," he said. "I left unexpectedly after receiving his owl, only Harry even knows I left the grounds."

"Oh, okay," she said, sighing softly. She was clearly disappointed that he was going to leave. He could not stay. His presence was required at Hogwarts. With some advance warning he could clear an absence with Albus.

"Would you like to come home with me? You could apparate back in the morning?"

"Really?"

She brightened at the invitation and he knew he'd spoken correctly for the second time today.

Did she truly think that he wanted to leave? Wanted to have distance between them? Yes, apparition was quick and easy, but they both had demands and requirements to meet. As much as he might like to, he just couldn't drop everything and visit her every night.

He wanted her with him every night, but he wasn't sure of the timing of whatever this was. Too fast? He really wasn't sure. It didn't feel fast to him as he'd been waiting for this chance, for her, for over twenty years from their first meeting, but it might to Hermione he realized.

"I think that would be acceptable."

"I mean, staying with you."

"Oh, well, you probably should avoid running through the halls naked but otherwise yes."

"I'll try to refrain."

"Pity."

"Well, you could choose to stay here if that's what you desire…"

She was teasing, he was sure of that. However, he could tell by the look in her eyes that there was some truth to the statement. Maybe it wouldn't happen today … You will not rush her!

"One day, yes. And on that note before we do something we are not ready for, collect what you'll need for the night."

"In a hurry?"

"To get my grading done so that I can have you in my bed as soon as feasible? Yes."

"Well, go on without me, I can meet you there."

"You cannot apparate directly into my quarters."

"True."

She paused then, biting her lower lip. She could go to the gates, of course, but it was January and the trek from the gates to the castle wasn't always fun this time of the year. She wouldn't actually remember that trek, but he did. He was spoiled being able to apparate in and out of the castle as he was.

"Okay then, give me thirty minutes."

"Hermione." Thirty minutes? What did she need to do?

"Allow your witch some time to make herself presentable, Severus."

He sighed. One thing he liked about Hermione was that she did not seem vain. Then again, if she wore what she'd worn for him after Christmas. Well, that would be worth thirty minutes.

"Will it mean you wear that nightgown you wore when we were together that way before?"

"That could very easily be arranged."

Very easily. Not just easily. He liked her enthusiasm.

"Then I will wait as long as I need to."

"Really? That's all it takes?"

She seemed genuinely surprised that her buying something like that with him in mind was pleasing to him. Did she not understand? He, of course, would prefer to see her completely undressed, but he knew it was too soon for that. It wasn't necessarily the item either. It was that she'd bought it to sleep with him in. As demonstrated by what she was wearing today when he came by unannounced not being at all similar. It was to look nice for him. An effort for him.

"Well, hours in your company also holds appeal, but yes it is that simple."

"I'll be right back then," she said. "I'll be as fast as I can, I promise."

He waited, admittedly impatiently, on her sofa.

The flat she shared with another student, a muggle named Helena, was furnished pretty simply. It was on the muggle part of town understandably since Helena was muggle. That meant that he could not send mail directly to her but to the owlery on campus where she would collect it. Edinburgh didn't have a very large magical community and Hermione wanted to live with muggles again for some reason.

There were no excesses or anything really personal marking it as theirs. From his understanding the unit came basically furnished with the bare necessities. They did have a smallish sized television and a radio of some sort, though it wasn't a full-fledged stereo like he had in his home. Otherwise, their living room was rather sparse.

He hadn't thought of the fact that she'd need things . He never spent time here, had never seen her bedroom or anything to know what she had in there. He'd only been shown where the flat was in the event he needed to find her.

"Hi," a young woman said as she entered the apartment.

"Hello," he said with a polite nod of his head. He presumed this was Helena as she'd let herself in and had a set of keys in her hand.

"You must be Severus."

"Hopefully that is a good assumption on your part and not due to complaints of my not measuring up somehow," he stood then, offering her his hand. "You must be Helena."

"Yes, it's nice to finally meet you," she said, taking his offered hand. He could tell as polite as she was being, that she was not overly impressed. He gave an inward sigh, honestly surprised he hadn't gotten the same reaction from Hermione's father.

"Likewise."

"Are you here for the night?"

"Actually, I'm taking your roommate home with me for the night."

"Oh, lucky her," she said. "Well, have fun."

"Thank you, enjoy your evening alone."

"I'll just spend it studying," she said with a shrug. Unless his ears were deceiving him, she didn't like that she'd be spending the evening studying.

"Oh?"

"She's rubbed off on me, I guess," she said, gesturing in the direction of what he presumed was Hermione's bedroom. He'd heard the sound of running water and multiple doors close so presume she'd gone from her bedroom to the bathroom and back to her bedroom. That was, presumably, where she was now. "She's like a machine, but I suppose you know that."

"She is quite studious, yes," he said with a nod. It was one of the - many - things he loved about her.

"And you're a professor?"

"I am at a specialized private school," he said. "Chemistry."

"Like gravitates to like I guess. I'm glad I have her as a roommate, though. I had to take chemistry this year and she's nice enough to help me with my homework."

"Of course she would do so," he said, not at all surprised that Hermione would help her roommate. It sounded, from what she said in her letters and their few in-person visits, as if they got along for the most part.

"Well, it was nice to meet you, Severus. Have fun tonight," she said as she walked, presumably, to her bedroom.

He walked then to the bookcase that was in the living room. He knew Hermione had another in her bedroom where she kept texts that muggles should not see. It was also magically extended. Looking at these titles he wagered that ninety percent of the books on the shelves were Hermione's as well. Some fiction, but lots of books on gardening, chemistry, and such that while within her magical subjects of interest weren't magical so could be out here.

He heard Hermione's bedroom door open and then a knock, he glanced seeing that she was at her roommate's bedroom door. She opened it after a moment's pause.

"I'm going to be gone for the night."

"Yeah, Severus mentioned that. Have fun. See you tomorrow."

"I just didn't want you to worry."

"Thanks."

She came into the living room then and smiled at him.

"Find anything interesting?"

"A few books of interest," he said, gesturing to a couple of the gardening related books.

"Help yourself," she said.

"Seriously?"

"Of course. It's not as if you won't take care of it or I need it immediately."

He glanced at Helena's bedroom door, ensuring it was still closed and wandlessly collected the two books that were of interest to him. "I will return them."

"Take your time. I don't need them right now, obviously."

"Okay."

"I'm ready."

"Really? I couldn't tell," he said dryly and she gave his shoulder a playful punch.

"Say things like that and I'm liable to just stay here."

"That would be disappointing."

"Well, come on then. Take me away."

They walked to the nearby apparition point and soon found themselves in his quarters at Hogwarts.

"Oh, hey, Hermione," Harry said, clearly surprised that Severus had left alone and was coming back with her.

"Hi Harry," she said, smiling. She was clearly happy to see his ward. "How are you?"

"Doing well, actually."

"Good. Quidditch working out?"

"Yes. I've sent Viktor a letter, but if you talk to him please tell him I appreciate the referral."

"I will, but you got the job, Harry. Your abilities, not Viktor."

"I know, but he helped point me in the direction of teams that aren't like the Chudley Cannons."

"They're bad I assume?"

"Terrible," he said with scorn in his voice. Severus scoffed as well at the very idea of Harry playing for them.

"Well, I'm glad it worked out. Really, and look forward to seeing you play again soon."

"Oh, right, of course. I'm sure Severus will get a box for the next game he takes in."

"Indeed. The Grangers will likely join us as well," Severus said.

"Really?" Harry said, not hiding his surprise at that statement.

"Mr. Granger seemed intrigued to see it played live as he's only heard it described and seen a few photographs."

"Oh, right, sure. I wasn't complaining! The more the merrier. How's school for you, Hermione?"

"Fine. Busy," she said.

Silence as they all three seemed to regard one another, and decide what to do with Hermione here unexpectedly. Severus had never had a guest in his rooms. Well, Lucius, but that was always planned or he'd ask via floo before coming through.

He never spent the night and wasn't nearly as … attractive as Hermione.

"Oh, hey, you want to see what Severus did for me?"

Harry's eyes lit up in happiness as he posed the question. Severus admitted he liked seeing that look there. He could have failed miserably in his attempt to raise Harry to be an adjusted, happy child - and now adult. He had no positive example to feed off of or anything, so it truly could have been a disaster. Yet, Black and Lupin had not really interfered or done anything to undermine Severus throughout the years. Almost as if they didn't think he'd fail.

"I'd love to," she said, glancing at Severus and he felt himself blush a bit at the look she gave him. Very different from the one Harry had just given her. He liked seeing that look there, too. It was just something he was as of yet unaccustomed to.

Harry led her to his bedroom and Severus knew instantly what he was going to show her.

She gasped in pleased glee followed by a giggle. "Oh," she said and then, "Is that your mascot?" she asked.

Severus stood on the other side of the door, listening. He'd spelled the canopy above Harry's bed so he'd see scarlet colored bats flying on it as well as the mascots of some of the opposing teams. The bats sometimes bludgered the opposition off the canopy.

"It is," he said. "Very original, right?" Severus could practically see the boy humbly shrugging on his bed.

"I think it's marvelous! You're so lucky, Harry," she said

"I am," he said. "Severus has been nothing short of good to me. I sometimes wonder if my father would have done as good a job based on some of the stories I've heard. Not from Severus. He's never said a bad word about him, but I know they didn't get along. I guess I have you to thank for that. Severus taking me in, I mean."

"You deserved it," she said. "All of it."

"Yeah, but," Harry said. "You still have your scars and everything. You were away from your parents for seven years because you didn't want to go to Hogwarts but didn't know why. You gave it all up but you still have the evidence."

"I don't know why that happened and I would have had them anyway, Harry."

"I just, how can I ever repay that."

"Have a good life. Meet a wonderful witch, or wizard I suppose if that's your preference, who will love you for who you truly are and if it's a witch make lots of little Potters. And know, no matter what, that I will always love you."

"I always wanted a sister," he whispered.

Severus sighed softly at Harry's confession. There were times he wondered if he'd done the boy a disservice by not getting married, but it was hard to even stomach the idea of anyone but this witch. He felt as though he was intruding now and stepped away from the door.

Eventually, Hermione joined him again in the living room, taking a seat immediately next to him on the couch.

"What do I get on my bed?" she asked.

"Well, I don't know. You don't play quidditch. That was kind of an easy one to do. What would you like?"

"Mm," she said. She leaned in then, sliding an arm around his waist and setting her head against his shoulder. "You."

"On your canopy?" he asked, kissing the top of her head. He wasn't sure this … cuddling she engaged in with him would ever get old.

She leaned up then, kissing his neck and finding his ear. He gave a soft groan as she nipped at the skin just under his ear.

"Well, I was thinking on, you know, me under the canopy, but if you want to be on the canopy I'm sure there's a spell…"

He froze. "No spells would be needed, I assure you."

"Mm, are we still talking about the canopy?"

"I am not, no," he said. "Are you?"

"No, and that is incredibly good to know that is the case."

He scoffed. "You had doubts? Are you questioning my desire? My virility, Hermione?"

"No," she said with a laugh. "That never entered my mind."

"Are you sure? If you were expecting … advances while we were in London."

"I wasn't, Severus."

"I admit the thought occurred to me on New Year's Eve, but you were not feeling well and I realized that would be entirely too cliche."

"Nothing you do would be cliche, Severus."

"Oh, I bet I could come up with some things."

She laughed softly, snuggling against him again. "I wasn't expecting anything. This is an odd situation, I don't want to rush."

"Nor do I. Your father may have implied bodily harm would fall to me if you had to quit your schooling because of a child."

"I think if I was anyone else, any other daughter, he wouldn't be so concerned but he knows how much learning has meant to me."

"He has every right to be cautious. I am an older man…"

"Can I ask a favor," she said, sliding her hand over his and lacing her fingers through his.

"If it's something I can grant, anything."

"Don't take your potion tonight."

"What?"

"You took your anti-performance potion while we were sleeping together in London and at Malfoy Manor."

"I did not want…"

"I understand, and I'm not mad. I'm sorry that you thought you had to. It's a normal part of being a man, Severus. I've read enough books to know what happens. I'm simply making a request tonight."

"Are you sure? I do not have control over those baser things without it."

"It's natural and," she looked up at him then. He saw uncertainty there and he hated that he'd done anything to put the look there. "I want to know that you really want me."

He looked into her eyes, swallowing hard.

That was how she'd interpreted it? He hadn't realized that thought would enter her mind. Of course he wanted her!

He took the potion because he didn't want to appear to be a lecherous arse who rushed her into a physical relationship. Agreeing to sleep in the same bed with him did not equate to wanting sex. He knew that was the case and didn't want to embarrass her or make her think he expected that so soon into things.

"I did not realize that was up for debate. I waited seventeen years for you, Hermione."

"I know but you waited for that Hermione."

He nodded, understanding where her doubts were coming from.

"You are her. Yes, there are differences, but I know you can tell from the memories you have that you are not so different. I could say the same, you know."

"What?"

"I'm not that Severus either. I wasn't your professor. I wasn't a spy for twenty years. I wasn't a hero."

"You were, too."

"No one knows what I did except you, and Harry."

"You saved so many lives, Severus." She rested her head against his shoulder again. "Remus and Tonks had a baby who was orphaned a month after he was born."

"Yes, Edward I think."

"You don't know?"

"I have very little to do with them and I certainly don't ask them about their personal lives. Harry's old enough to floo to and from their homes by himself now so I truly have no idea. I recall he was married and a short while later, nine months give or take, a boy child was added to the magical world. I think I've heard Harry refer to him as Teddy."

"Well, I suppose Remus doesn't live in Hogwarts does he?" She was right, because of his … affliction he was allowed to live away from the castle and come here daily for the Defense classes he taught. "Harry was his godfather, I was the godmother. I realize in the wizarding world the godmother doesn't seem to matter much. It was a formality, really. I'm honestly not sure why I was included in that."

"I will refrain from taking the potion, Hermione, but I didn't want you uncomfortable. There was no other reason for my taking it."

"I know, I'm not mad. I just," she shrugged. "I've thought about it, us like that, and I want the option if we were both so inclined."

He scoffed. "I can assure you I am so inclined whenever you are ready, Hermione."

"I know, but I don't want that to be a factor as to whether or not we can."

"Fair enough. I'll dump them all out," he quipped.

"I would not argue against such an action. I'm still trying to find my footing living among No-Majs again."

"Understandable, Hermione. I am in no hurry."

"You should be, though."

"Why?"

She blushed and he chuckled, lifting her face so he could kiss her.

"I think at this point another few months or so doesn't much matter. I'm still a male almost forty years old who's only kissed one witch. A witch I might add who is worth every year and cold shower I've endured without her in my bed."

"Well, I'll be in it tonight."

"That you will." He ran his fingers through the back of her hair gently. "I was thinking about that."

"Me in your bed?"

"Well, yes, I'm not sure I should admit to how often I've thought of that since New Year's, but no. My mind, perhaps foolishly, went elsewhere for a moment. What are your plans for the summer?"

"Oh, I don't know. That's a few months from now. I've thought of it but not too deeply yet. Why?"

"Would you like to stay here?"

She drew away, looking at him. He'd clearly surprised her with the question. Why? Too much too soon? Lack of interest?

"With you?"

He smirked. "That would be the idea, yes."

"Oh, Severus, I'd love to, but I don't know…"

"Why?"

"My parents… Your mum! You can't tell me she'd approve of that any more than mine would."

"I suppose," he said with a huff.

He didn't want to worry about parents. He wanted her here. All of the time when neither had schedules to adhere to. He wanted to do things with her, so many things from traveling to sitting by the lake to reading with her beside him.

"There is a way around that."

"And that would be?"

"My home."

"It's still yours."

"Well, your options are going home, which I don't see how that will work well after essentially not living at home for the past eight years."

"No, you're right."

"Staying in an apartment by yourself in Edinburgh when you know full-well I plan on spending as much time as I can with you."

"I do?"

"You do," he said simply.

He wasn't going to be coy about how much of his time he cared to spend with her. He'd spent seventeen years waiting for her. He was not going to play games or beat around the bush as to what he wanted. He wanted as much as he could get.

"Or using my home, which I don't stay in anyway. The wards have been set to accept you since you were born," he said with a shrug.

"Really?"

"I held onto the house, assuming somehow you knew about it. You'd researched me you had said so I presumed. I wanted to ensure you would be welcomed and aware of that fact. Now as far as Hogwarts. The castle recognizes you, I could see that you feel it as I do."

"It's home," she whispered.

"Yes," he said. "I could ask it to add a bedroom if the idea of committing to sleeping with me nightly is too much. My thought was of spending time with you without floos or apparition as part of the equation. Some brewing, some reading, maybe a few excursions away from Scotland together, and well if the spare bedroom doesn't get used I would not complain. You could explore the castle at your leisure and get to know it again. I'd say we could see about your own room, but I don't think Albus would allow that. As it is now. I would, of course, have to make Albus aware of my intentions. I would with your parents, too, if that would make a difference to them in how they felt about such an arrangement."

She shifted onto his lap then, sliding her arms around his neck and kissed him. His hands fell to her hips, sliding to cup her arse which he had slept pressed up against a few times now and looked very forward to doing so again tonight. This witch doubting his desire for her floored him. Any wizard in their right mind would realize they'd hit the proverbial jackpot with this witch.

He parted his lips and she did the same, giving a soft groan as her tongue flicked over his lip before finding the tip of his own tongue. He should probably be ashamed at how easily such a sound aroused him. He shifted her a bit on his lap and she gasped as she felt the effect she had on him.

"And your mum?" she whispered when they broke for a breath. She shifted against him and he shook his head slightly. She expected him to think when she was doing that to parts of him that very much wanted to know her better.

"Oh, well, she'd tell me to marry you tomorrow to ensure that you don't get away."

"You think so?"

"I know so. She's no fool and knows a good thing the same as I do."

"Mm," she said.

It went unsaid, of course, that she'd married his father who turned out not to be a good thing, but she was no longer eighteen and both he and Hermione hoped that forty plus years ago Tobias Snape had been a good man to Eileen Prince. He hoped that there was a year or two that Eileen could look back on her marriage and think it wasn't a complete mistake (Severus' presence aside, of course).

She leaned in a bit, finding his ear again.

"I wish you could feel what feeling you like that does to me."

"Oh?" he asked, his heart stopping for a moment at the suggestion that she was also getting aroused by this.

"Mm hmm," she said, kissing the spot under his ear that they were both fond of her kissing. A little lower and she started sucking and biting. As if she knew exactly where his collar would be for such a thing to stay hidden.

"Is it pleasant?"

"Very much so," she said when she'd stopped leaving her mark. "You hear witches talk and wonder if there's something wrong with you that you don't have such physical reactions."

"You have not…"

"Oh, sure, myself," she said and he chuckled at the blush that admission caused. "It's not the same I would presume, or people wouldn't make such a big deal out of it. At least just this little bit tells me it's not."

He slid a hand from her hip to her face, tucking her hair behind her ear. It was a hopeless gesture as it always was. It seemed to like him touching it and didn't want to let go so he contented himself with some of it wrapped around his fingers as he cupped her cheek.

"Have dinner with me."

"Well, I assumed you were going to feed me…"

"No, the Three Broomsticks, the Leaky Cauldron. Somewhere, an actual outing together away from Hogwarts and elves."

"I'd like that," she drew back a bit. He saw concern in her eyes. "Are you sure? People will likely see us…"

Merlin, he hated that she thought he cared about that. Did she not understand? He wanted people to see him with her.

"I don't care," he whispered. Then a thought occurred to him. Maybe it wasn't him she was concerned about others seeing. Maybe it was her. "Unless you do."

"Of course not, I'm not the one they'll gossip about, though, you are."

"Maybe it's time for the wizarding world to see that I'm more than just Harry Potter's guardian after all and you are an adult last I checked."

"I am," she said, her eyes sparkling. "Should I change? I didn't bring anything, but I could transfigure…"

"Nonsense, you look fine. I, in fact, will change to match."

"You're going to wear muggle clothes to Hogsmeade or Diagon Alley?"

"Why not?"

"Oh, this I have to see," she said. "Although I'm not sure I like the fact of other witches seeing just what type of figure you cut under your robes."

He scoffed.

"I like it," she said.

"It's the one thing I may question your intellect on, but so be it."

She rubbed her nose against his jaw, kissing him there then.

"Go change."

"Is my witch hungry?"

"Your witch wants to get somewhere public for a while before she does something embarrassing."

"You could not embarrass me or yourself, Hermione, I assure you."

"I'm just not," she shrugged. "The idea is nice, you make me feel very nice just doing this…"

"I understand. If my invitation for the summer makes you feel pressure then forget I said anything."

"It doesn't. I know you won't push me, Severus."

"You are correct. When you join me in my bed for that reason, Hermione, I want a very willing and excited witch, not one who is apprehensive and uncertain."

"Apprehension may be part of the equation even with the willing and excited part."

"I feel the same way," he admitted.

She slid off his lap then and he sighed at the emptiness he felt without her there.

"Me, too," she whispered. "Go change."

"You could come with me."

"We'd never leave, Severus!"

"Is that a promise?"

"Most definitely."

"I will hold you to it then when the time comes."

He went to change then, finding a pair of trousers and a shirt. She was dressed casually but hadn't chosen jeans so he'd followed her lead there. His long muggle wool coat was his last addition.

"I like that coat," she said when he joined her in the living room. She had her coat on already.

"Thank you," he said, unused to receiving compliments of any kind.

He went to Harry's room. "We're going to dinner."

"Okay. See you later then."

"If I didn't mention it before, Hermione will be staying the night."

"Right, sure. I'll be sure that I clean up before you get back."

Severus smirked, their living quarters were well kept. Despite being a young wizard Harry didn't seem to enjoy chaos or disorder any more than Severus did.

He offered Hermione his arm then.

"Shall we, Witch?"

"Please," she said, offering him a smile that was still there when they arrived in Diagon Alley together.

Return to Top

Part 13 | Part 15

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com