***Chapter Twelve***

Dearest Severus:

Or should I call you STS. You're lucky I can't think of anyone else with those initials. That's certainly a long way from Severus Snape in only one letter.

Before I forget, I hope that these items will be useful for you. Professor Brown sent them to me and assured me that they would be more than suitable from there to Edinburgh and then to you. You mentioned your mother enjoys canning and baking. I thought some cranberries, chokeberries, blueberries, and elderberries from Ilvermorny's area would be useful for any holiday baking she might like to do. Please, in the event she's not aware, caution her not to eat the elderberries raw, though they are fine for jams and pies. Please let me know if there are any she likes best, or least I suppose.

For you I have a variety of fresh (as in harvested within twenty-four hours of Professor Brown sending them to me) ingredients native to that area. I hope that you can find some use for them.

That taken care of.

I think I will ease into telling people you are my intended. I'm not ashamed or uncertain, but to go from on my birthday indicating you were a friend to an intended in such a short time. Well, that's not like me and even people here will know that. I might have dropped your name with regard to the bracelet. I will have to think of a more appropriate muggle term than courting and intended. Drawback of living among No-Majs I guess.

Onto my final surprise for you:

I believe you know that some Native Americans reside on reservations. There is one not far from Ilvermorny that seems to be primarily inhabited by magicals despite the fact it is not designated to be so. Aiyanna knows members of their leadership and I had written to them with her assistance before I left Ilvermorny asking if anyone fitting the age parameters you mentioned to me in July would be interested in a long-term trial for your ointment. I received a reply from their healer just yesterday that he has at least thirty names of people who would be interested. I will include his name and information on a separate piece of paper. I only knew of this magic-centric reservation because of my friendship with Aiyanna. It is not in any books that I can find a record of (imagine that, something I cannot find in a book). It's almost as if they left their tribes and formed their own, but I'm guessing that's not quite right. They have many living there who fall into your preferred age range. If you wanted to go to Massachusetts and meet the healer I would be happy to play tour guide with some notice around our respective class schedules.

Was that too subtle?

If so, I'll be less so.

I'd love to see you again. For you to visit, Severus. It's far easier for you to get away over a weekend than it is me so until my schooling is complete I fear visitations will likely be very one-sided. However, I'm sure Professor Brown would relay to my chemistry professor (who is magical) that I am working on a potion with you if I needed a day or two off.

Hopefully I haven't overwhelmed or flustered you, but the idea just occurred to me as I was writing this.

I will close now. Please tell Harry hello from me and give Claudin an extra pet and treat on my behalf.

Affectionately,

Hermione



Harry visited his classroom before this year's batch of Gryffindor and Slytherin seventh years came, not entirely unusual. Sometimes he liked to watch the class. For whatever reason he said he found watching Severus lecture calming. He hadn't taken a seat at one of the tables, though, and was standing at Severus' desk smiling like a crazed person.

"Something amiss, Harry?" Severus asked.

He hadn't heard any rumblings of Harry having any sort of difficulties. He was no longer a Hogwarts student so Severus wasn't privy to information from the other professors any longer. He hadn't read anything bad or disheartening in the Daily Prophet of late, though. He was still waiting to hear about some tryout opportunities, Severus knew.

"Headmaster Dumbledore wanted me to tell you that you have an observer sitting in on today's classes," he said.

"Okay," Severus said, pinching the bridge of his nose with a scowl. That was unexpected. "He sent you with this message?"

"He saw me in the hall," he said with a shrug.

"Very well. Someone from the Ministry, I suppose?" he asked. Some notice would be preferable.

"I really don't know for sure."

"Thank you for relaying the message, Harry. Is everything else all right?"

"Yeah, sure. Your team ready for the match tomorrow?"

Severus rolled his eyes. This was the eighth time they'd had this conversation. It was very different this year, however, as Harry was not playing for Gryffindor so Severus was no longer torn.

It was an odd feeling.

They'd had it prior to Harry's student years here, but it had never been Gryffindor specific (though both would have been surprised if Harry Potter would have been sorted into any other house). Harry even sat with him as a boy in the Slytherin stands. He never wore Slytherin colours. Severus was very careful about that. He wouldn't have rumours starting over something innocent like the lad wanting to support his guardian's house's team.

"Of course, you know Slytherin is always ready for the first match and that it's against Gryffindor only whets our desire for victory even more."

"Just once I'd loved to have seen you sit in Gryffindor's colours," he said and Severus sighed audibly. In truth it was the only part of Harry's time at Hogwarts that Severus regretted.

"I am sorry, Harry."

There were a few reasons he never did. He and Harry had talked about it more than once since his first year and he'd been sorted into Gryffindor as both his parents before him were.

He was, in fact, not a Gryffindor and he did not want to have undo attention cast on himself or Harry by wearing them. Perhaps he was too careful about such things. It was out of care and protection for Harry that he was, though. He could give a rat's arse about his own reputation.

He didn't think there was anyone who knew him during Harry's academic career here who believed Severus ever truly rooted against Harry, even when playing against Slytherin.

"I know. It's no big deal. I know you cheered for me in your own way."

"I always have."

The class filed in as usual and Harry took one of the designated empty seats as soon as the first student crossed the threshold, knowing that even one minute early was late in Severus' eyes.

"All right, class, Madam Pomfrey has informed me that she is running low on Dreamless Sleep, so we will be brewing that as a class today since you all should know how to brew it from last year. Points will be deducted from each house for every vial turned into me that does not meet my requirements. I should not have to brew this potion myself after you. As a refresher," he said, gesturing to his blackboard as a knock on his door came.

"Enter," he said as the entire class looked at the door to see who would dare interrupt Severus Snape's class.

He may not have been as formidable or unpleasant as he saw in the memories Hermione shared with him, but Potions was a serious business and he did not allow woolgathering or anything in his classroom. There was no place for it. He was proud of the low number of incidents he had in his classroom.

He heard a soft cough from the back of the room, very obviously male, as the door opened and Severus stopped breathing for a moment.

Was he sleeping? Hallucinating?

"Um. Hello, Professor Snape. I have permission to observe your classes today," Hermione said, the muggle charm bracelet he'd given to her visible from the ends of her robe's sleeve.

He glanced at Harry who was attempting to hide a smirk but failing terribly.

"Yes, Miss Granger, come in. You are late."

"I'm sorry, Professor. Headmaster Dumbledore was signing my paperwork for my professor at Edinburgh and can be rather chatty I found. I didn't want to appear rude."

Severus shook his head slightly, stifling a smirk. Of course the old coot would chat her up. He hoped she had her walls up in full force.

"Very well, then. Have a seat," he said, gesturing to the tables. Not surprisingly, she took a seat next to Harry.

"Class, our esteemable guest is Hermione Granger, a freshman from University of Edinburgh. If you recall in your first year I may have mentioned that you should all aspire to be a little more like her when she had an article published while only a year ahead of you."

The class as a whole turned to stare at her, realizing now that she was that Hermione Granger. Few students got published, getting published in their second year had never happened before. She'd been published more than just the one time, too.

She smirked as she took her seat, removing the backpack he never seemed to see her without. He noticed more than one wizard watching her with interest in their eyes and scowled at that. Maybe he shouldn't have pointed out who she was.

She raised her hand and flicked it at the blackboard. Her hair crackled and the ends stood out straight for a moment. He could almost physically see the magical energy flow from her fingers as his words were exposed on the blackboard.

"I assume that's the potion you'd like for us to brew, Professor," she said, biting that lower lip of hers she had a habit of doing. Her hair was still wild and not at all calm from that display of magic. He could see a light in her eyes that he would love to see in a more intimate setting.

Soon.

At least he sure hoped soon.

She couldn't hide the cheeky grin from him, though. Perhaps she wasn't trying to hide it. That, too, he looked forward to seeing in a more intimate setting.

"Indeed, Miss Granger. Thank you. Class, you may begin," he said, taking a seat at his desk to begin working on grading papers.

"Hello, Harry," he heard Hermione say.

"Hi, Hermione, I'm glad it all, um, worked out."

Had Harry known his witch was coming here? He wasn't sure he liked the idea of them … talking. Of course, realistically he wanted them to get along, but he liked having her to himself at least for the moment.

She was his.

Stupid.

He never knew he had a possessive bone in his body. They were going to get so little time together over the next three years. He wanted what he could get with her, and he didn't want interruptions.

"Me, too. I can't wait to watch the quidditch match with you tomorrow. I'm only sorry that I won't get to see you play," she said, patting his hand with hers and Severus gave a soft scoff.

The rest of the class was completely silent as if they were trying very hard to not make noise so as to hear their conversation. Of course they wanted to know. They probably thought the witch was interested in Harry. Why wouldn't she be?

"Viktor told me to tell you hello as well. He mentioned having a contact with the English National Quidditch Team as well as the, um, Bats, if that means anything to you he's working on getting a hold of."

"Really," Harry said, sounding impressed. "The Ballycastle Bats."

He glanced at Severus, no doubt knowing his guardian was eavesdropping. As was the rest of the class.

Severus sighed.

"I said begin," he said.

"Would you like me to collect the ingredients, Harry?" Hermione asked. "I assume we're going to brew a batch, too."

"I can come with you and show you where they are."

"Oh, I already know. Thank you, though," she said, standing and heading to the storeroom with the others who were going to gather the ingredients for Dreamless Sleep.

"Mr. Potter," Severus said, noticing when Hermione had left.

"Yes, Professor Snape."

"Please join me for dinner in my quarters tonight."

"Sure. I mean, yes, Sir," he said.

"You may bring our guest," he said, waving in the store room's direction.

Harry sniggered loud enough Severus heard him.

"Something amusing, Mr. Potter?"

"No, Sir," he said.

"Good, now get to work," he said. "You know how to prepare your station while your partner is gathering things from the storeroom. I'm certain you can still recall."



Hermione walked with Harry to the front of the class after the class had finished brewing, presenting their potions when finished, and was finally dismissed. Only one was rejected. Severus had thought it was truly a horrible attempt. He hadn't missed the look of condemnation in Hermione's eyes when she saw the offered vial either. In addition to not accepting the potion the trio who'd brewed it were assigned detention as a result of being the only group who had failed in making it correctly. Harry and Hermione had finished theirs before anyone else had. Not totally surprising.

"It was nice to see you again, Harry," she said, settling her hand at his wrist. She squeezed gently before releasing it. She really was happy to see him.

"You, too and I guess I'll see you at dinner," Harry said. "You two kids have fun now," he added, waggling his eyebrows.

The wizard left, leaving Severus alone with her.

"What are you doing here?"

"Playing hokey with my professor's permission. I mentioned that I had information for you regarding the ointment you're working on and he was fine with my taking a day off," she said with a shrug, stepping around his desk and leaning on it right next to him once she got to the side he was seated on. She slid a finger over the back of his hand nearest her.

"Are you upset?"

"Upset, no," he said, regarding first where she was touching him and then her face. "Why?"

"Well, you aren't exactly acting as if you think that my surprise is a good one. You haven't kissed me yet," she said, glancing at her feet.

"I didn't realize you were wanting me to."

"Severus!" she said, glancing at him sharply. "Don't joke."

"It was not entirely in jest."

She frowned, he saw tears were forming in her eyes.

"I'm sorry? Have I given you the impression somehow that I wouldn't want you to kiss me?"

"No," he said with a soft sigh.

She obviously didn't understand. This was all new to him. All of it. Having witches show up without notice to see him. Wanting to kiss him. He had no idea what the rules or guidelines were. He certainly wasn't going to paw her like a randy teen the first moment they were alone for the first time in months.

He glanced at his watch, realizing he had a little time yet before the next class. He pushed away from the desk then and stood while she seemed to effortlessly jump onto his desk. She crooked a finger at him, gesturing for him to come to her.

And Merlin help him, he went.

Like a man dying of thirst he was drawn to her as if she was a bottomless well. His lips sought hers and she hummed delectably into his kiss, grabbing the front of his robes with both hands as she tugged him even closer. So close, in fact, were they somewhere more private and wearing far fewer items of clothing he was pretty sure he'd be able to slide inside of her.

And wasn't that an appealing, arousing-worthy thought.

He groaned, lips parting as she did the same. He slid a hand to her face, tilting her face up just a bit for better access. The other hand found its way to her hip and around to cup her arse that he really wanted to see not covered in robes one of these times. It'd been twenty years since he saw her in blue jeans. He wanted to see it again. He tugged her closer to the edge of his desk as he deepened the kiss.

He drew away, knowing his next class was starting soon and he needed a moment to gather himself. She whimpered as he started doing just that and he almost gave in.

Almost.

"I apologize if I did not give you the welcome you were expecting, Hermione. I just do not want you to think I can't think with anything but my libido."

"I wouldn't get mad at you for kissing me after we haven't seen one another in months."

"Noted for next time. Instead of sitting with the students this next class would you like to assist me?"

"I'd love to," she said. "Do I get to sit next to you?"

"That could be arranged."

"Can I play footsie with you under your desk?"

"I'm sorry?" he asked.

Her lips curved up into a mischievous smile, and shook her head slightly. There were times talking to her and reading her letters that he regretted he wasn't more in tune with muggle terms and trends.

"I'll show you," she said, hopping off his desk. She waved her hand and cleared his blackboard. Just as earlier her hair was wild as the magic left her body. "Who's next?" she asked.

"You are quite good at that."

"Thank you."

"Your hair," he said, watching it again as it responded to her use of magic.

"I know, it has a mind of its own, especially when I do magic. It seems worse with wandless, and that's what we're taught primarily."

"Right," he said.

"I'm sorry."

"For what?"

"My hair."

"I don't believe I was making a complaint."

"You weren't?"

"No, at least it will be easy to tell when you are angry with me."

"Very funny," she said, moving to sit where he showed her to.

She scowled a bit, grabbing a few strands of hair by the ends and regarding it. Did she not like the idea that he could use it as a gauge of her mood? Should he not have said that? He thought it over in his mind, but couldn't see anything wrong with either the observation that her hair was a good … barometric reference of her mood or the idea that that would be helpful to him.

While his second year Ravenclaw and Hufflepuffs worked on brewing their Hair-Raising Potion Hermione looked over the papers from his first years that he had yet to grade.

She scoffed more than once, shaking her head as she moved from paper to paper. He felt her on more than one occasion slide her foot (sans slipper) along his calf and he realized what footsie was. And found he rather … liked it.

"Do you have a question, Miss Wroth?"

"Why does she get to look at our papers?" she asked.

"They're not your papers. However, she is an accomplished potioner who upgraded polyjuice potion when she was in her second year and has had at least four articles published in reputable potions periodicals that I'm aware of. Any further questions as to her qualifications for reading what future wizards and witches are learning?"

"No, Sir," Miss Wroth said with a huff.

"Five points from Hufflepuff for questioning my methods. Or if you prefer to keep the points you may serve detention with Mr. Filch."

"I'll take the detention," she said, practically seething now.

"Eight o'clock then and if I find out that you avoided detention it will be ten points."

"Yes, Sir," she said, glaring at Hermione. For her part she ignored it, but he … sensed her amusement.



Soon it was time for dinner and Harry and Hermione showed up to his quarters as he'd invited them to do.

"Did you enjoy your tour?"

"Yes," she said. "I love the squid."

"Hmm, she is a favorite."

"You're not mad at me, are you?" Harry asked.

"About?" Severus asked, knowing exactly what Harry was concerned about.

He shrugged. "Having Hermione just show up here."

"While I won't deny some notice might have been nice, it was not a disappointing surprise."

"That's a ringing endorsement from you," Harry said. "Are you going to sit with him tomorrow?"

"I imagine that's up to him."

"Did you have a better offer?" he asked

"No, I have no other offers, but you may not want…"

"I can sit by you without appearing lecherous on school time."

"How disappointing," she said cheekily with a smile and Harry shook his head.

"The headmaster may have other plans, like seating you with some students."

"I didn't get that impression. He seemed to think it was quite the feather in his cap that I was sent here to observe things versus Drumstrang or Beauxbatons."

"I imagine he does."

"And with that, I'm going to head to my room," Harry said. "I'll see you at the game tomorrow. Will you be cheering for Gryffindor?"

"Since Harry Potter asked me to, I don't see how I could resist."

"You have no better offer?"

She gave a soft laugh, glancing at Severus. "It seems he knows better than to request that of me. So no."

"Good night, Severus," he said. "Thank you for including me for dinner."

"Thank you for bringing our guest."

"Yeah, sure. I'll leave you two to sort your cauldrons or whatever you plan to do."

Severus watched Hermione as Harry took his leave. She sighed softly and had a somewhat wistful look in her eyes. He hesitated telling her, but that look was his undoing.

"He knows," Severus said finally.

"I'm sorry?"

"Harry. He knows."

"Does he?"

"Mm hmm," he said. "I may or may not have sought his help for my first letter to you."

She laughed softly. "That doesn't surprise me."

"Are you saying that you think I am incapable of writing a personal letter?"

"I think personal correspondence is not your forte and you sent me a gift with the letter that I imagine made you somewhat nervous."

"Astute observation."

"Which I love by the way," she said, gesturing to the bracelet that had been the gift in question.

He shifted then, taking hold of her wrist to get a better look at the bracelet.

"It looks lovely on you."

"It does," she said. "You have good taste."

"Obviously," he said with a soft chuckle.

"Harry showed me his old room today."

"Oh?"

"It's so odd. It's the same yet it's not."

"I suppose."

"I went up to see my old rooms. He couldn't come with, of course."

She rolled her eyes. He wondered what she was thinking, something evidently not overly pleasant. He got the impression she'd liked her time at Hogwarts.

"I have no real fond memories of my time in them. Other than studying, and my half-Kneazle."

He slid an arm around her, gathering her closer against him. "You will have to come back during the summer if you wish to see my old Slytherin room, there's usually someone who stays behind during holidays. I would be more than happy to give you an extensive tour then, though."

"I look forward to it," she said with a somewhat shy smile.

"I should have known Albus was up to something when he told me the other day I was no longer responsible for patrolling rounds this weekend."

"I suppose he assumed since he saw us together…"

"Indeed. I thought nothing of it at the time."

She turned slightly to face him better, settling her hand against his thigh. The bracelet visible. He couldn't deny he liked it there. He ran a finger over the outline of the charm that contained the lion.

"I think he likes me," she said.

"Oh?"

"Yes. He was more sincere then I remember him being and he seemed genuinely pleased that Hogwarts was where I wanted to come."

He took her hand in his, squeezing it. "He's probably hoping you'll realize what you gave up choosing Ilvermorny over us."

"Mm, I hadn't thought of that. Would that bother him, do you think?"

He shrugged. "I wish I could say for sure. He's an enigma and doesn't let people in. You think you are, but I'd say few truly know him."

"Sounds like another wizard I know."

He nodded. "I can admit we have that in common."

She leaned in then, surprising him by kissing him. He returned the kiss eagerly, sliding his arm around her to draw her onto his lap. She went willingly and they both groaned at the feel of her in his lap.

"Want to spend Friday night making out with your intended?" she whispered against his ear before nipping at it.

"Is she here?"

"Mm, be careful what you say, Wizard."

"That is truly what you wish to do?"

"We'll be around people all day tomorrow and I'll have to keep my hands and lips to myself. So, yes."

"That is a tragedy."

"I thought so, too, so shut up and kiss me, Severus."

"Whatever you say, Dear."

"Mm," she said, letting him shift them so she was lying on the couch with him on top of her. Her hands slid to his head and she gasped as he nipped at her neck and then giggled as he sucked on the skin there.

"Why is that amusing?"

"I have memories of you doing the exact same thing. You must like them."

"On you, evidently, yes," he murmured, setting his mouth lower along where her shoulder and collarbone met to do the exact same thing.

"Me, too," she whispered and then, he was pleased to note, said nothing else coherent for a long time.

Return to Top

Part 11 | Part 13

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com