***Chapter Eight***
July 1998

Hermione made her way to an inexpensive hotel in No-Maj London so that she could get ready for her long weekend. She was excited and nervous, which one was the prevalent emotion changed minute to minute it seemed. She felt a twinge of guilt that she hadn't told her parents she was going to be in Britain, but that would have led to questions.

Questions she wasn't ready to answer. Her not knowing all the answers was the least of the reasons. Likely they would demand that she spend all weekend with them, and she couldn't do that. Not this trip. She'd be in Scotland in about a month and would be able to see them. At least that was how she justified not telling them about this trip.

She had to do this.

She had to see Harry.

She had to know.

To find out if any of what she remembered were actual memories or just her mind playing tricks on her.

Was any of it true?

Was Harry okay? Had he been raised by someone who treated him better than the Dursleys had?

Would she see Severus Snape?

He'd been friends with the Malfoys so she imagined it was a very good possibility.

Would he know? Would he recognize her? Would he still be interested in her? She wasn't that Hermione Granger. She hadn't fought in a war or had him when she was a student. Or snogged him. Or, well any of it.

The hotel wasn't rat-infested cheap, but it wasn't a whole lot better. She hadn't seen the need to splurge on something hugely expensive for just a few hours. At least she was over eighteen so the desk clerk didn't question where her parents were or something. She didn't care about the state of the room as long as the bathroom was clean. That was the main thing she'd be using anyway.

She couldn't leave Mount Greylock in formal wizarding gowns and made up for a party.

She took advantage of having to pay for the hotel even if she was only going to be there for a few hours and showered before carefully readying herself before meeting Viktor at Malfoy Manor. She could apparate there from her room.

She took the time to put makeup on. Removing it and doing it again because she wasn't satisfied the first time. This was one of those times she wished she was like other witches and knew how to do these things.

Her hair, as if sensing both her apprehension and excitement and her deep desire for it to behave, was surprisingly easy to tame today. That was not always the case. There were times she was certain it had a mind of its own.

Shortly before she was set to meet Viktor she checked her reflection in the mirror the room offered to ensure she looked presentable for an old pureblood wizarding family. She thought she'd pass. Wizarding America wasn't quite as uptight as Europe, but she knew enough about etiquette and rules to know how to act. And how to dress despite the fact it was the end of July.

She had always been very private and hadn't revealed much about herself to anyone during her years in the magical world, not even Ayianna really. That would play in her favour now she imagined because unlike her first time, no one would know that she was a muggleborn witch. She suspected that was particularly important going to Malfoy Manor no matter the Dark Lord hadn't returned.

She then took a moment to check that she had put everything back in her backpack before deciding it was time to apparate outside the gates of Malfoy Manor, surprised despite it being a memory she hadn't actually experienced (and not at all a pleasant one) that she was able to picture it quite clearly.

As the pull of the magic of apparition started she hoped that she wasn't making a huge mistake.



She gained her footing and took a deep breath when she'd arrived, hoping to spot Viktor easily and quickly enough. She didn't want to look out of place or as if she didn't belong here. She had no idea how big Harry's party was going to be, but if the Malfoys were hosting it and Viktor had specified formal attire being a necessity. She imagined it was going to be quite the spectacle. Did Harry want that?

Others were arriving or had done so shortly before her so she stepped out of the way, nibbling on her lower lip as she looked for any familiar faces. (Even if they didn't know they were familiar to her.)

She spotted Viktor not too long after she'd arrived and smiled widely at the sight of him. She was relieved she wasn't going to be left standing here waiting for him for too long. She had seen him more than a couple of times when he had quidditch business in America since he left the end of her second year, but this was the first time since his time at Ilvermorny she'd seen him dressed formally.

He looked very nice.

If she was any other witch she would be throwing herself at him, but that wasn't what he wanted. She'd always been … immune. It did seem she had a type, though. Dark haired, mysterious, and no one quite knew which side of dark and light he fell on. She'd read the rumours that the Krums were on the Dark Lord's side originally. He wasn't. They'd talked about it more than once. She wasn't going to hate him because of what his father might have done. He'd never been arrested or even publicly accused.

She was not the only one to think he cut an attractive figure either judging by the number of looks he was on the receiving end of when he arrived.

And more than a few scowls aimed in her direction. That part amused her to no end. She was somewhat used to it by now.

If she was any other witch she would be lucky to have his romantic intentions focused on her. She would absolutely use an event like this to come out as his witch. Thankfully, he understood and they never had an awkward point in their friendship where he wanted more than she did and she had to say something about it not working out.

"Hermyown," he said none too quietly as he caught up to her. He took her into his arms politely and placed a formal kiss on each cheek. That warranted a few looks by others.

"Viktor," she said, blushing.

Being Viktor Krum, he was well known and gathered attention even somewhere like this. So that meant a few were looking to see who he was so boisterous about seeing.

She'd worked very hard to try to teach him how to properly say her name. She'd succeeded, for the most part, but he'd certainly been done with this pronunciation since he'd left Ilvermorny. Granted, it had been five years and she'd only seen him sporadically between then and now. He was excited to see her, clearly surprised she truly made it. Not that she'd ever said yes to joining him for something like this and not shown up.

She was very glad to see her friend outside of school or his career, and excited for the weekend, so she decided to let his mispronunciation go. He didn't mean anything by it. It wasn't his fault her parents gave her a somewhat difficult name to pronounce.

"You came! I am so glad." He lowered his head a bit, clearly wanting privacy with whatever he was going to say next. "I thought for sure that your letter was joke and that you would, how do you say it, upstand me."

She laughed lightly, lifting a hand to pat his cheek. She truly adored this wizard and considered herself very lucky their paths crossed. She wasn't sure what she'd have done without their exchange of letters over the years.

"Stand you up, and I would never do that! I told you I'd be here, Viktor, and here I am. If I hadn't wanted to come I would have just declined your invitation."

"You are here, and I thank you. You look beautiful," he said, stepping back a bit still holding her hands in his, taking in her appearance.

It was the end of July so she had a light outer cloak on to keep her gown from getting ruined by any dirt or anything on the ground and her hair mussed in any wind. She'd worked too hard to get it to look tame to risk it!

"Thank you, Viktor. You look rather dapper yourself."

"You have never shown interest in such functions before so you will excuse my doubts."

"I forgive you," she said, sliding her arm through his offered one.

He was good at this. This was mostly new to her, but she knew as long as she followed his lead she'd be fine. She had memories of parties at the Burrow, but they weren't anything like this.

He'd invited her to more than a few events over the years. He wanted someone who he could be himself with and who was accompanying him because they liked him and wanted to be with just Viktor Krum. Not Viktor Krum quidditch star. He said he liked their conversations. She'd never gone before outside of a few American events. She'd never wanted to cloud his perception of what he was to her. She hoped saying yes this weekend wouldn't undo that. She really did like this wizard.

"Have you been here before?"

"I have not. Have you?" she asked.

Of course she had, but Viktor wouldn't know that. No one would. Nor would she care to expound upon her time here to anyone.

Ever.

That was assuming anyone would believe her if she told them! She somehow doubted anyone remembered or knew.

"No, Mr. Malfoy has invited me previously, but I have declined before now. I like Harry, he is good friend. Like you, someone who treats me as Viktor Krum not Viktor quidditch player. So I thought it would be good time to accept. Yes?"

"Absolutely. You've met him before?" she asked, knowing the answer.

"Yes. Remember I spent your fourth year at Hogwarts for the Triwizard Tournament? He was fourth year, too."

"Oh, that's right," she said.

She nodded her head, sorting through the various memories she had of Viktor both at Ilvermorny and Hogwarts. It was interesting that she had still met him and formed a bond with him.

Perhaps there were some things that were just fated to be. That was interesting to think about. Something to research when she had the time to do so. And knew what exactly to research. She'd looked up things like deja-vu but that was before she got these memories back.

Somehow she doubted there'd be much to find but in her spare time she would still look.

"Shall we join the others then?" he asked, gesturing to the other guests who were making their way toward the gates that would lead them onto the grounds of Malfoy Manor. She sure hoped this visit would be much improved over the memories of her previous time here.

Then she couldn't imagine this event would be worse than her memories of being here!

"Of course," she said, moving with him to the queue of people while he got the magical invitation ready to present. Being Viktor Krum, he probably didn't need it.



Draco and Harry were making the rounds to greet all of his guests here today. There were some in attendance today he had no idea who they even were, actually most of them truth be told. Uncle Lucius had really used the excuse of Harry's birthday to throw a party. Draco had parties like this all of his life so his birthday had been no huge deal.

Harry Potter turning eighteen, though, Lucius could make that a huge deal.

Uncle Lucius had offered to have parties for Harry every year, but Severus had always declined. Harry was a lot like Severus in preferring privacy so he hadn't wanted parties. They'd talked about it this year when Uncle Lucius had originally made the offer back in March or April. He was potentially looking to play quidditch professionally, and if not he certainly aspired to work for a living whether that was as an auror like his mum and dad or not.

Severus had suggested it would be a good way for people to finally see and perhaps get to know Harry Potter. He had been out of the public eye for the most part since the night Voldemort was defeated. He might make contacts, meet people, who could help him whatever path his decision as far as a career took him. Harry had realized his guardian was correct. So, they had agreed to allow Uncle Lucius to host this party.

Draco was accompanying Harry so that he could make the introductions as necessary. Some were clearly only there because of who he was. His enthusiasm for those guests while polite was nowhere near as sincere as those who were there because they actually knew and liked Harry Potter.

Viktor Krum was one of those people. They'd met in Harry's fourth year and unlike people like Weasley, Harry hadn't been star-struck nor had he followed him around like a puppy. Severus would have been disappointed in him for behaving like that. Sirius and Remus would have had a hell of a time making fun of him, too.

Harry assumed that was the reason the two wizards had hit it off. Krum liked Draco well enough, but had admitted to Harry he found Draco a little too pompous for his tastes.

Harry had kept that bit to himself. He, of course, tended to agree with Viktor's thoughts. Draco could be very pompous and self absorbed. He'd known him for so long now that it just was part of Draco's charm. He knew others didn't see it that way. The pompousness wasn't aimed at Harry either so it was easy for him to dismiss it.

Harry smiled truly for one of the few times this evening. He and Viktor had exchanged more than just a few owls over the years, but Harry found neither were very consistent writers and he missed his friend. If he'd met him when he'd been older than a fourth year, he thought they might have been more than friends. Plus, he wanted to talk to him about potentially participating in quidditch tryouts. He figured Viktor would be a good place to start for information now that he'd completed his education at Hogwarts.

"Viktor," Harry said, eyeing his guest.

He couldn't help but wonder who she was. Harry read the Daily Prophet and knew that Viktor was quite sought after among witches around the magical world. Was this someone he was courting?

He hadn't heard Draco mention that Viktor was sharing his quarters with anyone and he was pretty sure his best friend would mention that. Draco loved to gossip, and while Harry didn't engage in it often there were times it paid to listen to what Draco said.

What was more, Harry wasn't entirely sure Viktor preferred witches to wizards. Then again he wasn't sure about himself either. In part because of this wizard.

They'd gotten pretty close and three years later he still wasn't sure if what had happened between them meant anything or not. Again, if he hadn't been in school. If Viktor didn't travel frequently. If either wizard had said something . Well, lots of ifs and no real answers.

"I'm glad that you could make it."

"Of course, Harry. It is big deal, turning eighteen and having graduated from Hogwarts. I'm glad my schedule allowed. May I present my guest, Hermione Granger. Hermione," the wizard said, clearly overannunciating the witch's name. "This is Harry Potter and Draco Malfoy," Viktor said with a polite bow as he presented Hermione to them.

Harry took her hand politely. "Miss Granger," he said with a bow, placing a faux kiss to the air just above her wrist. He and Draco had been taught these things from about the time they started walking. Draco had had far more reason to put them to use over the years, but they'd come in handy for Harry a few times.

"Mr. Potter. I understand I'm here at this lovely home because of you. Happy Birthday," she said, presenting her hand to Draco once Harry was finished. "Mr. Malfoy. You have a lovely home, thank you for including me as Viktor's guest."

"Any friend of Viktor's is welcome, of course," Draco said, but he may as well have said nothing with as much attention as the witch paid to him. Instead, she seemed oddly focused on him.

Odd because that just wasn't normal. Draco was the one who usually got the attention and the second looks. The looks aimed at Harry were usually of the curious variety. Witches like Ginevra Weasley who seemed interested in him without even knowing him.

"Do you live here, too, Mr. Potter?" she asked.

"No," he said. "Draco is my best friend and his father somewhat insisted on hosting this party for me."

"That was most generous of him."

She was surprised, he could tell. He wasn't sure how he knew that or, for that matter, why she was surprised. Or what she was even surprised by.

"My father is a generous man."

Hermione smiled a bit at that, but Harry noticed the smile didn't quite meet her eyes.

Interesting.

Not many were immune to the Malfoy charms, and the money and good looks that went with them. Top marks were not all that Draco and Harry good naturedly fought over. Witches were another thing, though neither of them to this point had actually pursued a witch beyond a few dates. Draco had his name to protect and Harry did, too, but in a different way. His parents and his guardian were heroes of the Order.

Those were big shoes to fill.

"Viktor says you attended Hogwarts," she said.

"Yes. We met my fourth year. Do you go to Durmstrang then?"

"No, Ilvermorny," she said simply. "I just finished my seventh year. I stayed on there this summer until I start college at University of Edinburgh here in Scotland this fall to do some more hours toward a possible potions apprenticeship if I decide to go that route after college."

"Really? I've never met anyone from there before." From her accent, she didn't sound American.

"Well, now you have," she said.

"Draco and I both just finished our seventh years, too."

"What a coincidence," she said. "How did your studies go then?"

"Pretty well, actually. Draco and I competed for top marks."

"Oh?" she asked, sounding impressed.

"Yes. All in good fun, of course. Well, it was fun for me because I actually ended up with the top marks."

"Of course. That would be fun to have achieved," she said. "And you play quidditch like Viktor he says, Mr. Potter. Are you a Seeker, too?"

"I am. Draco is, too actually," he said with a nod. "I'm in Gryffindor. He's Slytherin. I'm not sure how familiar you are with Hogwarts' house system, but we've been pretty good. Gryffindor has I mean."

"I bet you have," she said, smiling and he sensed that she wasn't making fun of him. That was a relief. He didn't like the idea of looking like a fool in front of someone Viktor brought to his party.

"Do you play?"

"I do not, but you can't be friends with Viktor and not be familiar with the game."

"Oh, right," he said, nodding in understanding.

Were they together, Harry wondered again. They didn't seem to be. Viktor had introduced her as his guest not his girlfriend or anything. And they didn't act as if they were together like that. Then he wasn't sure at something like this if Viktor would do that.

"Do you know what you're going to do? You mentioned college."

"Well, I'm going to Edinburgh for History. If I dislike it, which is possible since I really haven't lived among the No-Maj in basically seven years. Well, I hope to be able to get an apprenticeship in Herbology and Potions. We'll see. I have actually stayed the summer every year to work at accumulating hours toward a Potions apprenticeship."

"Wow, ambitious," he said.

He'd never heard of such a thing, someone accumulating hours toward an apprenticeship while still a student. Then he only knew Severus as far as potions masters went and his guardian had never taken on an apprentice. He certainly had never worked one-on-one with a student summers as it sounded like Miss Granger's professor was doing. He didn't know how Severus had become a master either. He assumed he'd apprenticed under someone. He'd never mentioned it and Harry, sadly now that he thought about it, had never really thought to ask. It was before he was even born, though, Harry was pretty sure. He'd been teaching at Hogwarts for as long as he had acted as Harry's guardian.

"And you? What are your plans now that you've finished Hogwarts?"

She didn't seem to like the focus on her, interesting. She was obviously smart if she was thinking of going into History and had already been earning hours toward an apprenticeship as a student. A History major seemed like a lot of reading and a lot of remembering things. He wasn't sure he could do it. History of Magic was more than enough for him.

He shrugged then, knowing he was blushing terribly. He wasn't stupid and he wasn't averse to studying, but there were just some subjects that held less appeal than others. He'd listened to Dudley talk about various classes and Harry had to admit he was glad he was at Hogwarts.

"I'm not sure. I was thinking of playing quidditch for a while so I can take the time to decide what exactly I'd like to do. My parents were both aurors and I've thought of doing that, but I don't want to do something just because my parents did it."

"I think that sounds like a wonderful idea, Harry," she said. "I mean, Mr. Potter, sorry."

"It's okay. You can call me Harry if you'd like. You're Viktor's guest and all."

"And please call me Hermione."

Harry smiled at her. "Will you be here all weekend?"

"I planned on it. It's my bit of vacation this summer."

"I'd love to hear about your school experiences. I hear they use a lot of wandless magic."

"They do. We do," she agreed. "That interests you?"

"Well, sure, I mean. Who wouldn't want to know how to defend themselves without tipping off an opponent?"

"Good point," she said, smiling at him with a nod.

Eventually, Draco and Viktor joined in the conversation which relieved Harry. He was glad Draco could get along with his friend and his guest and vice versa. Eventually, though, Harry had to move on to other guests.



Soon, dinner was announced so Draco and Harry made their way to their designated table. Lucius, Narcissa, Severus, and a few others were seated there, too.

"Have you ever met anyone from Ilvermorny," Harry asked Severus when dinner was almost finished.

The others at their table were focused on their own personal conversations so weren't really paying them any attention. At least the people at their table were people Harry knew fairly well. There were some people here he'd never heard of who were likely here because Uncle Lucius invited them so that they could say they had been here. He would never understand people like that.

Harry couldn't believe the turnout.

For him.

He'd be flattered if it weren't for the fact he was famous because his parents both died the night he lived and Voldemort had been defeated.

"I have, of course, I've visited there a few times over the years. It has been since you were quite young I suppose since the last time they asked me to be a guest lecturer," Severus said. "Why do you ask?"

He shrugged. "Viktor's guest is from there. I've never met anyone from there before. I was just curious."

"Mr. Krum's guest is from Ilvermorny?" Severus asked.

He seemed more than just a little interested, too. Harry knew Severus was bored out of his mind being here tonight. He was only here for Harry. If it wasn't his birthday, and his eighteenth one at that, he'd be home working on potions. He hated these things. So that question was the most … animated he'd heard his guardian since breakfast earlier that morning.

"Yeah," Harry said, wondering why that was a curious thing to Severus.

Viktor was a quidditch player who traveled all over the world. Harry supposed it was maybe a little odd considering the wizard had schooled at Durmstrang and was from Bulgaria. Harry didn't find it very odd. The two of them had met at Hogwarts and kept in touch since.

"Were they not nice to you or something?"

Severus had tried to warn Harry that his friendship with Viktor might be different now from when they first met while both were students. It had been a few years, Viktor was no longer a student, and people changed.

"No, not at all."

He leaned closer toward Severus so that he was confident only his guardian would hear.

"It's not every day a witch pays attention to me and ignores what Draco is saying."

"A witch?"

"Yes," he said.

"Well, I'm pleased a witch was flirting with you and not a wizard," Severus said, his voice laced with humour.

"Very funny, Severus. It wasn't like that. At least I didn't get that impression. She just seemed legitimately interested in me. Asking me what I wanted to do after school and stuff."

"And you told her?"

"Yeah, I mean I haven't totally made up my mind, but I mentioned it. Hermione said she thought it was a wonderful idea," he said, pondering that.

Severus stiffened next to him. His grip on his fork loosened just a bit. If Harry wasn't keyed in to Severus after spending the past seventeen years with him day and night he wouldn't have noticed it. As it was, he suspected he knew Severus better than Severus himself did sometimes. So, he noticed the reaction.

Weird.

Severus wasn't known for reacting to things. He certainly wasn't emotional or prone to overreacting normally. He'd gotten away with being a spy with his life intact for a reason.

"Is Viktor's guest a romantic interest?"

That was what he asked about? If his friend was with the witch? Why did that even matter?

Weird.

"I didn't get that impression, no. They seemed friendly, you know, clearly familiar with one another but that was all. I know Draco mentioned after we'd left them that they aren't sharing a room. Not even connecting rooms or anything. So, no I don't think he's going to be challenging me to a duel or anything because she spoke to me for more than a couple of polite minutes."

"What else did this witch say, Harry?"

"Um," he said, glancing away from Severus for a moment and smiling at a guest who apparently thought Harry was looking at him.

Why did his guardian care what Hermione had said to him? It wasn't a hugely memorable conversation. Beyond the fact she was attentive to him and not Draco or Viktor.

"God, you had to ask me that after I've talked to hundreds of people today. She just finished her seventh year, too. She is attending University of Edinburgh in the fall to study History." What exactly had she said? "If that doesn't pan out for some reason she is hoping to get an apprenticeship in Potions and Herbology. She's staying at Ilvermorny this summer hoping to earn some hours toward a future apprenticeship. It sounds like she's maybe earned some already previous summers. She says she has stayed at school summers every year. And despite going to Ilvermorny she sounds as if she's from here. Her accent, I mean," he added for clarification.

"That wasn't so hard to remember, Harry, now was it?"

"No," he said. "I guess it wasn't." He still wasn't sure why his guardian cared what Viktor's guest said to him.

Sadly, he doubted Severus would ever tell him either.



"Your dad is dancing," Blaise Zambini said as he approached Harry and Draco.

Harry had hardly left Draco's side all night because he really only felt comfortable with his best friend by his side in this type of environment. He just wasn't a formal party person. He'd talked to Viktor and Hermione a couple more times, but he knew the quidditch player had other people to talk to here so he tried not to be a pest. Yes, he was here for Harry's party but he was still well known and famous so people wanted a few minutes with him, too. Viktor had assured Harry they would find time to talk before the weekend was done.

"So," Draco said with a shrug.

His father dancing was nothing to announce. In fact it would be more of a surprise if Lucius Malfoy wasn't on the dance floor. And witches loved dancing with the wizard, too, despite knowing he was a very married wizard.

"Not your dad, Draco. Harry's dad."

"I'm sure you are mistaken," Harry said as Draco said, "Godfather does not dance."

"Well," Blaise said, gesturing with his head toward the area of the dance floor. "Don't look now, but he is certainly doing a very good impression of doing exactly that."

Draco and Harry followed Blaise closer to the dance floor, something Harry had no real interest in tonight. He would dance with a few witches over the course of the evening to be polite as the celebration called for, but it was not something he was overly fond of. He didn't feel as if he was very good at it, no matter the lessons Severus, Lucius, and Draco had given him. Couple that with feeling as if people were watching him when he did do it. He just preferred avoiding it if he could. Tonight was not one of those times.

He knew how he just didn't find much enjoyment in dancing. Draco wasn't really in the mood tonight either because he was still trying to dissuade Pansy Parkinson from having designs on him now that they were done with Hogwarts. He hung out with her, but told Harry that he had no interest in marrying her. Draco did happen to get enjoyment out of dancing. Like father, like son Harry supposed.

The three wizards stood on the perimeter with other observers. Harry was pretty sure all three of them had shocked looks on their faces. Sure enough, Severus Snape was dancing. They weren't the only three watching curiously either. Uncle Lucius and Aunt Narcissa were there, both looking very curious and shocked. Others were as well.

Severus Snape did not talk to witches.

Severus Snape did not dance.

Until tonight, it seemed.

"Isn't that," Draco said when they got a clear view of the witch in question. He paused, clearly trying to remember the witch's name.

"Hermione," Harry said.

"On a first name basis with the witch already, Potter? Better tell Uncle Severus so he doesn't try to steal your girl away."

"Shut up, Malfoy," Harry said good naturedly.

"Have you ever actually seen Godfather dance with anyone?" Draco asked.

"No," Harry said.

In truth, Harry had never seen Severus even so much as talk to a witch in a social situation one-on-one.

Ever.

Yes, of course, at Hogwarts he had when it was a requirement, but he did not seek witches out to talk to them. He did not dance with them. Some had asked him to dance and he always declined, appearing rude not mattering to him. As far as Harry knew, his guardian had never had a date in seventeen years. If he had, he'd done an incredible job at hiding it from everyone.

Weird.



Say something, you idiot. You have waited seventeen years for the chance to speak with her again. What are you waiting for? The song is almost over and if you don't say something she's going to go on her way and think that you're a complete dunderhead.

"Professor Snape, is it?" she said and he breathed a sigh of relief.

Ever the Gryffindor, even if she didn't know that's where she would have been sorted at Hogwarts.

"Indeed, I'm afraid you have me at an advantage, Miss."

"Granger," she said, glancing into his eyes.

She looked away almost immediately, though, which bothered him. Would she not even look at him?

He'd have more of an uphill battle gaining her interest in allowing him to court her if she couldn't even stand to look at him. He was used to the look of disinterest bordering on polite revulsion from others by now, but he'd never been on the receiving end of it from her. She'd always looked at him with kindness and friendship in her eyes, even that first meeting when she'd been distraught.

He'd presumed when Harry had told him she was here that … Well, he supposed he wasn't sure what he presumed.

She'd accepted his offer of a dance, though. That had to mean something. She was quite a bit shorter than he was, he noticed. He recalled thinking that when they'd met before, but that had been a long time ago.

And he hadn't had dancing on his mind the last time he held her.

"Miss Granger then. Thank you. Wherever did you learn to dance?"

She gave a soft laugh. "Is that really what you care to talk about, Professor?"

No. He was full of questions, but didn't know where to start.

"No," he admitted then. "Harry mentioned you're attending Ilvermorny."

"I was, I just finished my seventh year and will be attending University of Edinburgh in the fall."

"Good," he said with a nod.

"Well, I think so, and I'm quite sure my parents are rather relieved I'll finally be a little closer, too."

His lips quirked up at that. "I imagine you're probably correct. By your accent I am guessing that you're not from America."

"No."

"Then why Ilvermorny?" he asked.

"Well, I don't know." She glanced at him, their steps slowing just a bit from the beat of the song they were dancing to. "Have you ever just known that something was to be done?"

"I have," he said.

"That was me with attending Ilvermorny," she said.

"I see," he said.

He didn't really see at all, but he did understand the idea of having a feeling about something. Sadly he hadn't learned to listen to that feeling until far too late in life.

"And you are studying Potions?"

"Yes, and Herbology. If I decide to do apprenticeships after college anyway."

So she was truly going to college after this. Harry had mentioned it, but Severus had wondered if he'd misheard. College wasn't at all unusual, especially to someone who sought knowledge as she so obviously did. He was, in truth, a little envious. College wasn't an option for him. Death Eaters and his decisions aside, it just wasn't financially feasible.

"Of course, right, and a good secondary field."

The song ended and he expected her to release his hand and head off to Krum, or someone else but she did not. They continued into the next song. She didn't even hesitate and he certainly wasn't going to release her if she didn't want to go. He had waited too long for this to let her just walk away.

"You think so?"

"Of course. If one wants to have a true understanding, be truly proficient and knowledgeable, about potions one has to know about the plants one is harvesting and utilizing in those potions."

"I couldn't agree more," she said.

"You obviously had a very good teacher then."

"He is the best," she said, blushing slightly he noticed. Clyde Brown was a little younger than Severus but everything he had heard about the American professor had been good. And respectable. He did wonder what the blushing was about, though. Was she interested in the other wizard? Wouldn't that just be the way of things if she was?

"Are you in the country long?"

"No, I'm just taking a brief break to be here. Viktor invited me and as much as I enjoy working all summer I thought a long weekend away before I start college courses would be nice."

"Understandable."

"And you, Sir? What are you doing with your summer?"

"I am working on a project," he said.

"Something other than improving the wolfsbane potion?" she asked, clearly interested.

And clearly aware of his work. A student generally wouldn't be, but she was no ordinary student. He'd been working on improving the wolfsbane since Remus Lupin started as a professor at Hogwarts during Harry's third year. To this point he hadn't been successful at doing much more with it, but he was still actively trying. It was a difficult potion on a good day let alone trying to tweak or enhance it. How did she know? Or did she just assume? Or was she aware Remus was a professor here and of his affliction? She had known about it when they met initially in the Room he recalled.

Clyde Brown had to be thinking he'd hit the mother lode with this witch taking an interest in his field. No doubt he'd drafted the apprentice contract seven years ago just waiting for her to approach him about it. Her applying to university probably broke Clyde's heart.

"Well, yes," he said. "That's a side project. The problem with trying to improve upon it is finding test subjects who are willing to take something experimental when they're used to taking the potion that they know works."

He went on to explain the ointment he had come up with that would aid those advancing in age from gaining the unsightly liver spots that seem to come as one gets older. He kept going only upon seeing she seemed to be genuinely interested. If she'd appeared bored he would have given the short and sweet explanation. She wanted to know, though. Of course she did. His Hermione loved knowledge. Her notes regarding the horcruxes were exceptional.

"How interesting. And an age bracket in our society that doesn't get much attention from what I can tell. Any successes yet?"

"Unfortunately, no. Well, nothing long-term. That's the problem," he said with a shrug. "I haven't found anyone willing to commit to an ongoing trial situation."

"Ah," she said. "No one wants to admit they're getting on in years to where they'd need such an ointment."

"That I believe is the problem in part, yes," he agreed. "I'm also trying to come up with something to help treat severely dry skin. As a professor I've seen many students as well as faculty suffering from this affliction, some so severely to the point they are ashamed. I had a first year this past term who inspired the idea. He couldn't wear shirt sleeves even if he wanted to. From neck to toe his skin was scaly. Hogwarts' healer, Madam Pomfrey, and I found it fascinating. Students in his peer group, though, not so. It, therefore, interfered with his development not just scholastically but socially."

"Well, if you have problems finding test subjects for that in the likes of Scotland do let me know. The Mount Greylock and Salem areas are no stranger to weather which would exacerbate such a calamity."

"Are you offering to help find me test subjects, Miss Granger?"

Was she? Was he reading too much into her statement?

"For the chance to visit London's magical community I suspect I could find some, yes. Unless of course you'd travel to your subjects."

"That is very kind of you."

Was she suggesting he visit? Certainly he had to be reading things into this conversation especially since it sounded as though she'd be in Edinburgh in a matter of a few weeks. This witch didn't know him.

"In fact," she said, getting a look in her eye that Severus oddly realized he recognized. He hadn't seen it in seventeen years and was beginning to wonder if he ever would again.

He'd seen it last the night she'd approached him about finding the horcruxes in his time There were times her mind would wander it would appear, but he came to understand it was her mind's way of shifting through all the data it was privy to.

"Yes?"

"Oh, nothing, just a thought I had. Something I will have to pursue when I return to Mount Greylock next week."

"I see," he said, a little disappointed she wouldn't expound on her idea. He'd love to hear it. He'd enjoy listening to anything she had to say.

"I will certainly let you know if I discover that my idea has merit, Professor," she said.

He hated hearing her call him that. Propriety dictated that she should, but he longed to hear her say his name again. He was beginning to think he never would.

And then she was here. At Harry's eighteenth birthday party, as she should be.

She was suggesting contacting him after this weekend. Was she not? Was he mishearing? Was the shock of discovering she was here at his ward's birthday weekend as she should have been getting the better of him?

"That is if you don't mind hearing from someone who is just a former student of a different school and not even an apprentice. I mean I would understand if that does not hold appeal…"

"No," he said quickly. His silence was going to cost him this witch. He knew it. Stupid. "I have no doubt your idea will prove fruitful, and would welcome the correspondence from someone as bright as yourself."

"Oh, flattery."

"Says the witch who had an article posted in several reputable potions journals at the age of thirteen and quite literally changed how well Magical Law Enforcement can perform their jobs. It's not flattery if I speak the truth."

Her face closed down then and he felt her stiffen in his arms when only a moment ago she was dancing with him as if she belonged there. Like she wanted to be there. With him. She was going to pull away. She was going to leave him.

And he had no idea what he had said or done to cause the sudden change in her demeanor.

"I have monopolized too much of your time already, Sir. I should…"

"Hermione," he said, cautiously.

Merlin, how many times had he woken up over the years with her name on his lips, afraid that Harry would hear him call a witch's name.

"No, really, I'm sure you have someone who is wondering why I'm taking up so much of your time, Professor. I apologize for forgetting my place. I thank you for the dance," she said, releasing his hand and her arm from where it had been comfortably sitting against his shoulder for over two songs now.

She tugged up the skirts of her gown ever so slightly and stepped away from him.

And fled, leaving a very puzzled Severus in her wake.

What had just happened? He really had no idea and his limited knowledge of the fairer sex netted him nothing. It wasn't as if he could ask anyone either. He wasn't even sure how he'd begin to explain things.

Return to Top

Part 7 | Part 9

Harry Potter Fandom Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com