***Part Eight***
Word Count: 992

"Negative I take it," he asked a few weeks later.

"Yes," she said softly.

"It's all right, Sara," he said gathering her onto his lap. His bathroom floor was not the most comfortable to sit on, but he seemed to sense she wasn't ready to move from her spot next to his tub.

"I know."

"So, that leads us to our plan. I'm glad we waited until you knew."

"Why?"

"Well, I really don't want to get married because there's a baby possibly on the way. I don't want anyone to think that's why we got married."

"I know."

"You know I want to, right? It's only been six months…"

"Almost seven," she said, rubbing her eyes on his sleeve.

"Almost seven," he said with a chuckle. "I was pretty ready to throw in the towel on my bachelor lifestyle by May."

"Okay."

"Your parents, your mom especially, would be upset if we eloped or had just a small service. You can't lie to me, Sara, I know moms like yours and they live to see their daughter get married."

"Yeah."

"So, we do it right. Go talk to them. Set a date. Get a dress and rent a tuxedo. Order flowers and invitations. Have a reception at your country club I imagine. Once you've graduated."

"And this?" she said, showing him the pregnancy test box.

"It's a few months, Sara. You have a doctor appointment in a few weeks, right?"

"Yes."

"So, I'm sure they'll be able to tell you more now than they could in June. I'm sure they'll be able to give you an idea if it's an issue. I mean, he didn't use a knife or anything else sharp inside of you."

"No," she said.

"It'll be fine."

"Why didn't it work then?"

"Honey, I know it happens, but people don't always get pregnant after just one try."

"It was more than one."

"You know what I mean. Maybe the timing was off. I mean, there has to be an egg in the right place, right?"

"I guess."

"Once we're married we'll talk to the doctor and find out what the best times are for trying. I've never had to worry about it, so don't know these things. We'll find out, though. I'll become an expert on it if that's what it takes. Hell, forget asking her, we can try every day if that's what you want."

"What I want, huh?"

"Well, yeah, I have a job, things to do around the house, and stuff. Tough responsibility being at your beck and call sexually."

"Right," she said with a laugh.

"There's the trial to think about, too. You going there not married and pregnant wouldn't look good."

She exhaled sharply. That was coming up sooner than she wanted to think about. "You're right."

"So, I'm not throwing away my supply away just yet."

"No," she said.

"We'll talk to your parents on Thanksgiving."

"They're going to think…"

"Which is exactly why I'm glad it was negative today."

"You were?"

"Glad isn't the right word, but I think there's a part of you somewhere that thinks you needed to do this for me."

"Well, you should know."

"I'll know when you know. I want you, Sara, the rest doesn't matter."

"I want to believe you."

"You stressing over it can't help either. So, no more talking about it until you've seen your doctor and you have some answers beyond what an ER rotation doctor told you. Remember what you told me about the doctor there who'd treated Brad?"

She laughed. "Yes, they told us he died."

"That should tell you how overworked they are. I'm not saying he didn't do a thorough job or anything, I'm sure he did. I can't see a mark on your face so they did a fantastic job, but they're still busy with a hundred other patients waiting to see them."

"I know," she said, resting her head against his shoulder.

"So, talk to the parents, talk to the doctor, ace your last two semesters of school, graduate, and then become my wife. Sounds like a pretty good six-month plan to me."

"Me, too," she said.

"That also means you get some input on the house."

"What about the house?"

"Oh, I don't know, maybe some new furniture and stuff."

"Well, that's what registrations are for."

"Registrations?"

She laughed, nuzzling against his shoulder. "Yes, gift registries."

"Huh."

"You don't go to weddings?"

"Haven't been to many and I certainly never knew about a gift registry. I just gave them a check."

"Well, some people will do that, too."

"How big we talking here?"

"The checks?"

He chuckled. "No. The wedding."

"Oh, I don't know. Brad and Amanda had like three hundred guests."

"I'm sorry, three hundred guests? As in three hundred people to see them get married?"

"Yes."

"And this is not unusual to you?"

"No."

"Well, assuming Amanda accounted for half of that, I can say with ease ours won't be nearly that big."

"My dad will make up for your slim guest list, I'm sure. I know there were some family friends they had to exclude."

"Christ. Maybe we should just elope."

"My parents would hate you."

"I don't have to live with your parents."

"No, but I suspect your life, our lives, would be much easier if they like you."

"Yeah, yeah."

"Thank you," she whispered, kissing his jaw.

"What are you thanking me for?"

"For talking to me. For making me calm down." She turned on his lap so she was facing him. "For being patient with me."

"Love is patient and kind, or at least that's what I was taught growing up."

"For loving me."

"I can honestly say that's the easiest and best thing I've done in my life."

"Me, too."

"You started way before me."

"Not the real you. That came much later."

"I'm glad I lived up to the hype."

"You did way better than that."

Return to Top

Part 7 | Part 9
Adventures in Babysitting Fan Fiction Index Page | Fan Fiction Index Page | Home
Send Feedback

Story ©Susan Falk/APCKRFAN/PhantomRoses.com